1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too much RAIN!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Northern, NJ we are supposed to get 4+ inches of rain in the next 36 hours. It's supposed to rain (according to weather.com) for the next week :angry: . What should I do? I hate mowing in the rain. Would you call to tell customers that you may be more than 2 days late for their mowing? Thanks in advance!

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

No reason to call...... With how dry its been most havent seen us for weeks as it is now
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, most of my customers have irrigation systems, so around 3/4 of my lawns have been done every week. The other 1/4 has been on an every other week scedule.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

same problem up here in ct.I dont plan on calling, i will get to them asap.If there is a break in the rain(which im sure there will be) i plan on doing as many as possible.They can look out the window and see its been pouring.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why would you call? If its suppose to rain all week why not just skip this week and do it all next week? I dont see the big deal. Why would you go out and mow in the rain?
  6. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

I generally call if I'm over two days late and it's not currently raining. It doesn't take much effort and can't hurt. The customers I get to right away I might not call but the way people are, they quickly forget how much rain there was. Once that sun is shining and they see their grass is getting high they may figure you're not going to show and may call someone else. I've picked up many jobs from other services in just the situation described above after some variation of, "I know it's been dry but I haven't seen the man I hired for weeks and my grass is getting really high. I think he quit."
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

JT-I know, its pouring like crazy. At least its knocking some leaves out of the trees...where in CT are you?
  8. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

send some of that rain down my way I have some clients that I have not been to in 3 0r 4 weeks due to the whole yard being brown. We need some rain bad in south texas
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Same thing here, all my customers know the drill and i tell them from the beginning, if it rains, im not coming! But im going to have a lot of work to do after it stops next week!
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Rain Schmain. Unless it's pouring, just mow. Rain does suck, but whatcha gonna do?