1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too much weight in 8.5x20 enclosed.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blessed 1, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I burnt up another axle this weekend and have concluded that I am carrying too much weight on my 8.5x20 enclosed trailer. 3 ZTR's,3 blowers,5 weedeaters, shelf in the front,cabinets etc is just too much for the standard 3500lb axles. I have bent 6 rims and burnt up 2 hubs in 8 months. Be aware and get the 5200lb axles if you plan on putting 3 ztr's in the trailer. I have to make the desicion to upgrade the axles to the 5200 lb. My trailer dealer said the best he coud do is $800 for the heavy axles and tires and rims (6 lug) Really pisses me off because I just paid $350 for 8 ply tires.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What was the GVWR of the trailer?

What is the empty (tare) weight of the trailer?
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh I would swith to truck tires instead of trailer tires. The topic recently came up a few days ago. Best of Luck
  4. Blessed 1

These tires are the truck tires. They have been good so far. The standard trailer tires were lasting 60 days........
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wasn't sure if you saw this?
  6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have about the same list of equipment in my 8x20 Pace Summit, except for the mowers. I have a 52" Toro Z, 48 and 36" Turf tracer WB and I am right at the 7000lb mark. I haven't had any axle problems mainly just tire wear issues.
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Just take the trailer to a public scalehouse. IMO you are about 2500# over. Enclosed trailers are heavy. Your equipment alone is 7000#. I bet you trailer weight is close to 3K dry. Id look at getting a new triple trailer if you are gonna keep hauling that much.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, your over 7K.

I added up the listed weights of your Toro, and two XS Lazers, string trimmers and blowers.... 4625lbs

So unless your trailer weighs less than 2375lbs w/o equipment in it, your the one to blame.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I Would Sell That Trailer And Upgrade To One From The Factory That Is Designed To Carry That Kind Of Weight. Most Likely, You Probally Need A Stonger Build Frame To "safely" Carry That Much Weight.

I Don't Know That Much About Maintenance And I Know Nothing About Your Business, But If You Have Three Mowers And All, Would You Not Be Making More Money If You Put One Of Those Mowers On Another Trailer With Another Crew. Unless You Are Cutting Sites That Have In Excess Of 5 Acres, I Don't See How Your Time Savings Is Paying For That Third Mower. But Like I Said, I Don't Know A Lot About Maintenance.
  10. Blessed 1

I am part time and don't start until 5:00 during Dayight Savings time. After this past weekend I have to do all mines during the weekend. You are probally right about that third mower but I cut,weedeat and blow 9 acres in 1 hr 10 minutes max. There is a big problem at my level finding help you can trust. Everybody down here is cutting grass but I am trying to go to another level. You either have to be the cheapest (not a option) or the best. I choose quality. I am the only one in my town that stripes. I wish that I could find someone worthy enought to cut while I was at work........