Too much weight on hitch?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Nitroman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

So I have a 12' tandem axle trailer and to be able to put a bed cover on my truck to keep fertilizer dry, I moved my 200 gal. spray tank to the trailer. It is maybe a foot from the front rail and weighs almost 500 lbs. a little over 2,000 filled.

I have ran this rig this way for three years with a 03 GMC 2500HD factory hitch. Usually I don't fill the tank all the way, but I will have to with a part time guy with me this year to fill two Zsprays. I know the obvious solution to getting the weight off the tongue is to move it over the axles, but I don't have a side gate. So I need the tank in front to load machines in the back.

Thoughts? Is this unsafe?

I was thinking of having a Reese heaving duty hitch with 2k tongue weight capacity put in.

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Get at least a WDH Weight Distributing hitch. I think those year trucks had hitch issues from the factory.

3. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't trust the factory hitch to pull much more then a 3,000lb trailer with minimal tongue weight. I think after a hard weekend of adult beverages GM saved the cans and that's what they are making the HD truck hitches out of.

I ditched mine a few years back for a Reese Titan Class V 2.5" hitch. I think it is rated at 2k tongue weight and 18k trailer weight. It'll handle all of that and more without worry, it's built pretty stout.

4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thanks for the input fellas. The Titan was what a local shop recommended as well. I think I'll order one of those. I'm also having extra leaf springs put in Friday. 30 to 40 bags of product in the bed, then all of that water just makes the truck look like a gang bangers low rider.

Thanks

5. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Move the tank over the axle and build a side gate? It wont do any good to have a hitch with a 2k lb tongue weight if the suspension on the truck is bottomed out and the headlights are pointing at the sky. Properly load the trailer for the weight and add a side gate if needed.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

If you put a WDH on it will drive better and not sag near as much.

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what your budget is, but, I'd do a self-leveling airbag setup instead of more leaves in the spring packs. Then, no matter how much or how little load you have on the truck, it'll always be at the right height. Also, you won't suffer the drawbacks of super-heavy springs in the rear.

You need to investigate the weight rating of your trailer's coupler. That seems like an awful lot of weight up front. As mentioned, I think I'd move the tank back and add a side gate to your trailer. That'd be a lot cheaper than having to make suspension and hitch changes.

8. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Curt makes better hitches than Reese IMO.

9. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are made in China. :rolleyes:

10. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

Curt hitches corporate headquarters are in Eau Claire, Wisconsin and are made in the USA. Draw tite, Reese, and Hidden Hitch are also made in the USA and are all the same company, Cequent Group. They also own Fulton and many other trailer towing related companies. I have never heard of a after market hitch breaking but I have been on receiving end of a factory hitch breaking. I am sure they have but I also bet that is was due to serious overloading on the operators part. -Jason