1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too much yard slope?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dloomis, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dloomis

dloomis LawnSite Member

Hi gang - new to the forums...howdy.

I'm thinking about new home construction on a .95 acre lot (Zebulon, NC), which slopes from front to back. What I'm concerned with is the slope of my new lawn, and whether it will pose irrigation problems down the road. My gut feel is not, but I'll run the numbers by you anyway.

The first 2 measurements target where I plan to install a new lawn - the rest will be wooded.

The front yard will slope down (street to house) about 3' over 50', or 6%
    The back yard is a bit steeper, about 5' over 50', or 10%
    The complete yard (from front to back) is about 16' over 210', or about 7.7%.

Like I mentioned, I don't think this is a cause of concern, but maybe you have a different opinion.

BTW - I have a *beautiful* zoysia lawn at the moment, and will be very sad to see it go. Oh well.

Many thanks - Dan
  2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I have one customer who has a yard steeper than that, and he has irrigation...the yard is thick and beautiful. I don't see it being an issue as long as you maintain it as well as you would any other yard.
  3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

some retaining walls would fix this, add some steps to access. How about some pic for us to look at. Doesn't sound too bad to me though.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't sound like a problem to me either. In some situations, it could be beneficial. Welcome to the neighborhood! :)