Too "Mulch" or "Not to Mulch"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EMWEB, Jul 18, 2006.

1. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana . . . most grass including mine seems to be St. Augustine. Can I say DRY DRY DRY drought conditions apply . . .

I have a 52" Turf Tiger with a 27 HP (4.25 hours on meter now). Currently doing side discharge . . . It is dry and the dust and grass clippings being discharged is unbelievable. Would a mulch kit help, or would I then just have a big cloud following me . . . .?

Suggestions for "Mulch" or "Not to Mulch" in general appreciated . . .

P.S. I'm a "newbie" . . . hope do get started this coming spring, but want to iron out as many possible bugs as I can now . . .

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

mulching would help a bit, as it is not dispersed out the side of the mower. i would try and sell the dusty customers on a re-seeding this fall, as a thick lawn won't spew dust as much.

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mulch 100% and that means the chute opening is closed, on bermuda and St. Augustine. It is more dusty when it is dry but we don't want to go over grass but once at this time of year. With plate over you don't have to be bothered about what direction to run and don't throw trash on the trim guys.

5. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input . . .

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I built my own OCDC for my Z. The only thing I dont like is that the grass likes to get clumped right at the door then it will leave clumps in the yard.

7. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

emweb, welcome to the site. nice to see another louisiana person on here. i don't know if i can be of much help because i only use 21"s currently. but i know what you mean with the drought going on right now. but i think the mulching kit would help with the amount of dust being thrown up. don't get me wrong, even when mulching you're still gonna be kicking up dust, but i don't think as much. that has been my experience so far this year.