1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too steep to mow, idea's?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hogheas, Jun 24, 2006.

1. hogheas

hogheas LawnSite Member

Could anyone recommend a way to manage this slope so not to have to mow, its just too steep? The area is about 40 feet long and 15 feet from bottom to top. Though there are no trees in my yard, I am completely surrounded by them. I want something low maint to include not digging out the maasive leaves I will have in the fall. I have thought of flat rocks and with mulch between them, then just blow off the leaves. I live in NW Arkansas zone 6, the slope is on the west side of house and gets minimal sun. Thanks for anyones inputs. I am open to any suggestions..

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad the front wasn't graded such that you could easily see the home from the angle you took the picture. Then it would be very easy to mow and it would look neat.
  3. KauffmanL&L

KauffmanL&L LawnSite Member

If money is not an option why not get 3 to 4 terraced rock walls in stalled and make flower beds or you can also use crown vetch hydro-seed it with a a ryegrass and it would also look great after all this the last step is to drink up cuz it will be well deserved:drinkup:
  4. hogheas

hogheas LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input, I think I would like to drink first though....:drinkup:
  5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

If you want flowers and hummingbirds, I'd plant it heavily with daylilies, siberian iris, geranium himalyense, lysismachia ciliata 'atropurpurea', lupines, phlox (tall), any medium-tall campanula, adenophora, hesperis, mints, bee balms, etc.. All are medium to tall perennials that naturalize and compete well. No need to nuke the grass: they'll crowd it out after a couple of years. If you have access to "instant gratification" plants (really large ones) they will spread faster than small plants. Ornamental grasses could also be an option: mix and match the decorative ones and be sure to take their untimate height into consideration.
  6. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

What kind of mower are you using? I only ask because I mow three banks that appear to be much steeper than yours. For two of them I use an old bobcat 36" fixed deck belt drive walkbehind (you can find used ones for very cheap). For the 3rd bank I use our exmark Turf Tracer.
  7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Please do me a favor and tell me if you mow across the hill, straight up, or up & down at about a 45-degree angle? The reason I ask is that I have a similar hill and a couple of old 22" self-propelled mowers (Bobcat and Hahn-Eclipse) that I've used on that hill when I didn't resort to a string trimmer. But when I've mowed across the hill, the mowers have turn upside down on occasion. Not a nice feeling, of course, but since they are relatively light, it wasn't a disaster. These are pretty old mowers with low HP, and they don't really have enough power for the straight-up path or even up at 45 degrees. I had thought of getting something bigger, perhaps 36". Something like that might or might not turn upside down, but if you've been doing this, I'd like to benefit from your experience.

The string trimmer I use is a Stihl FS 45, which is nice and light and seems to do a good job, but it takes a long time and doesn't provide the even-cut look that a mower does. Well, maybe someone with a lot of experience might get it, but that's not the typical homeowner and certainly not me.
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Get a flymo. Take the handles off, tie a rope to it and start swinging.
  10. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you've got a tractor you coudl either get a sickle mower or a ditchbank mower.
    Or you could just let it grow all summer long and every ecember or so go and throw a match in it (not that I have ever done that on areas that were too steep to mow, or when I just realized that matches are cheaper than deisel fuel).