Too Tight!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GreenMachine102, Aug 17, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I changed my oil after the first five hours, went back yesterday, to change it at 88 hours, and I can't budge the drain plug, I even managed to round it over, hot can I get it off???? Its a 20 hp kohler, and the drain is galvanized, so I quess it swelled??

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Greenmachine.

If it's rounded off you'll need to replace the valve. The hex you turn on the valve is brass. You should not need to tighten it much at all. Really just snug it up should be adequate in most cases.

Thanks

Terry

3. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

It doesn't have a valve, its just a 4 inch long piece of galvanized pipe coming straight out of the engine and has an elbow turned down with a plug in the end. I cant get the elbow off and replace it because there is no room to turn it to get it off, it appears as if they set the engine with it already in place!!!

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Green machine.

Now I get it...........I'm a little slow on the up take now and then.

Send me a pm with your serial number to terry.eckert@exmark.com. I want to take a look at the parts break down and see which drain you have for certain.

Thanks

Terry

5. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Oops, Someone forgot to put the oil drain valve on the engine!

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got 2 of those 20 hp Kohlers and all I can say is this a B***H to get to the drain I have one on a lazer and one on a giant vac truck loader and I dread oil changes on these guys. Awful location for the oil drain plugs.