1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Nov 21, 2000.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You guys who do leaf cleanups by blowing, What do you do when its windy? Today it is so windy, I had to stop the job & go home, because the leaves were blowing back at me, & making more of a mess.
    Do you guys try to work through it when its windy or quit?
  2. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I think you did the right thing, i dont know about everyone else but i try to stay away from mowing, especailly with sidedischarge, when its to windy outside. I think that you would make a bigger mess than you would do good, plus you would get even dirtier, and you might get dust or something in your eyes. I would try to stay away from mowing when its windy outside.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if the wind is blowing in only one direction i just blow the leaves that way with the wind. if the wind is constantly shifting then i just dont even show up at the job. too hard to make it all work and look nice in the end
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Work with the wind. Since I mulched all the leaves this season it hasnt been a problem, actually the wind has been helpful, after mulching an extraordinary amount of leaves, a once-over with the blower into the wind scatters the small particles like confetti.
  5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Today was the worst I had it. As of 2, I called it quits.
    After taking way too long blowing earlier in the day, I decided to use the 1/2 a$$ed approach of sucking up leaves with the mower....30 catcherfulls later.... What a day.

6. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I would be willing to compare my average wind speed with anyone. I think we are rated #2 in the nation for average wind velocity. We work through it most days, unless the winds are over 50mph sustained. Yes, this happens all the time. The highway dept. even close roads to high profile trucks all the time due to wind. Don't move to WYO. if you don't like a little wind.
  7. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the wind is better they just help u blow them into the street thats for me at least i dont no how windy it is by u but its pretty windy everyday here 2 i got windburn on my face so it must be lol. i just deal with it another thing is if its to windy mulch them up go over it two if needed a third time the mulch dust will just blow away usally by the second time theres not even a leaf left except stuck around tree bases .try it that way think when you go home that just means extra work left for tommorow and rushing so u can get to your next cleanup...
  8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I'm in Tennessee and I had to quit early yesterday and didn't even try it today because of the wind...when we do the leaves we also do the gutter and it's just not worth fighting the wind...If it's windy tomorrow, I don't know what I'll do...I still have several leaf clean-ups to do and I feel like I'm running out of time...I guess we'll just try our best tomorrow, maybe we'll get a break...Clean-Cut...
  9. Guest

We just try and work with the wind, sometimes it takes longer but you got to do what you got to do. Sometimes we will just make smaller piles and keep mowing and bagging them over with our Hustler Bac-Vac and in the worst case situations we will go home, but that is only very rarely. The only bad thing about the fall is we only have a short time to do alot of work, about 6 weeks, and we can not miss to many days so we usually just work through it no matter what. Just My two cents
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Sometimes I'll start early in the morning before the wind picks up. If I can't use the wind to my advantage, I'll stop for the day.