1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

too young...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgoalie23, Apr 26, 2004.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I'm sixteen, and I have been posting flyers and business cards at the local Big Y's and convience stores. Anyway. I was buying some fertilizer and i get a call from a woman who wants a quote for weekly cut, and mulching and everything that goes with that. So i race over on a sunday, and i am greeted by the husband and the woman. Introduced myself as the owner, and the woman had a shocked look on her face. Anyway, we spend a full hour going over the lawn and mulch job. $35 for the cut and $60 a yard installed, 15 yards. I told them edging was extra and so was spraying the weeds(weedwack them to the ground and spray, then bury with mulch. they never will come back up). He says when can you get started mowing. I said let me go home get my equipment and ill be back in a half an hour. He says great. I go home and not a moment after i get the lazer and the wb on the trailer and eveything else in the truck my dad comes out and says "she" called they are canceling. Call back, talk to her.....Your to young with attitude! she says. I have 30 accounts that will all give you feedback on the great job i do, so dont give me this cr@p about your to young. Further more why didnt you just tell me i was too young when i showed up. It would have saved me an hour i could have used to work. By the way good luck finding a landscaping company around here that will do the mulching job for less than $70 a yard! CLICK!

The husband was nice and wanted me to do it, but i guess we know who wears the pants in that house!
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

people are scared that young people will screw up or not show or the list goes on and on.... plus, they think that you can't possibly do the job.... keep trying... get the house next to them and soon they will see what theyre missing....

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw em! Your probably better off without them if that how they are.
  4. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

"weedwack them to the ground and spray, then bury with mulch. they never will come back up). "

I think that might be a little wishful thinking.....If it were that easy I would never have any weeds in any beds.
  5. sgoalie23

maybe a few here and there, but it is better to pull 10 weeds than 1000. i like the less labor method, faster.
  6. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

watch out with the spray in ct. the DEP is starting to crack down on unlicensed applicators. fine is quite hefty. i just sub all my work out to a DEP licensed applicator. i usually pull the weeds from the bed.. and get them on a weekly weeding/monthly weeding schedule. been working fine for me so far! no complaints.
    Monroe... where is that? never herd of it im over in ledyard.
    im 18.. not to far from you. i started when i was your age.
  7. sgoalie23

one town north of bridgeport, where is ledyard?

Dont burn any bridges! Be nice and poliet, remember the customer is always right, even if they are rude! :angel:

I had the same problem, I was 17 when I started and it took me about 3-4 years for people to trust me. I guess when they seen the biggest church here in town looking perfect every week without fail, they began to trust me! Im 22 now and Ill be 23 in June,,,,, Happy mowing!!! :p