took a bath today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 16, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, did i get humped today. hasnt happened in quite some time, but today i screwed up on a bid, very , very big screw up. i gave the quote in november, and told them id do it this spring. it involved digging out and disposing of the remains of two stumps that were ground, putting in topsoil, and seeding. see, what happened was the guy that ground the stumps told me the area was very small, and he only went down 2 inches. he said the surface roots were cut out, not ground. so, like a jack ***, i quoted the customer a price, with just glancing at it, not really looking. so within 5 min at the job i realize the price should have been around 4 times what i quoted. so, what would u do: 1)tell the client u need more money? 2)jump in the truck and get away fast? 3) take it on the chin, do the job as quickly as possible to minimize losses? four years ago id of packed up and got out quick. today, i chose to hurry up, get it done, and get to the next job. actually didnt lose anything, but made far less than i should have.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick with the quote and use today as a hard lesson learned for bidding on similiar jobs. I think we have all been there at one point or another.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I am sorry to hear this. I am glad to hear that you finished up the job and went on. We all make these kinds of mistakes and I am sure you will not make this kind of one again.

Gravely_Man

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You did the right thing, bobby.

6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky you, It was only a one time job and not continuing service such as mowing or maintaining landscaping for a season where you would be taking that loss every week:eek: That was very profesional of you to finish the job, and hopefully the client will realize that and offer you more work or refer you in the future. Chalk it up to experience and better luck next time. Marc

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You made the right decision. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing the other day. Gave an estimate for scalping zoysia. I gave the estimate based on the thickness of one area of the lawn. I did not walk the lawn and see how thick the other areas where. In short, it took me twice as long as expected. The good thing was that I got a job across the street and it took 1/3 less time as expected.

Live and learn
    MATT

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

It sucks but you did the noble thing Bobby. Alot of guys around wouldn't have, nice job maybe it will land you some other work that can reap some benefit.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby - I disagree with the others.

If site conditions are different than I was told or than could reasonably be anticipated, I would charge more.

Upon finding out it would take longer, I would have immediately stopped work and contacted the customer to discuss additional charges. That's assuming the conditons were truly unforseable. Otherwise, I'd just eat it but make sure they know they got a bargain.

I put a time limit on my landscape contracts stating that the price is good for a period of 90 days (occasionally 30 days), so one of my bids from last November would no longer be valid.