1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Took a cancel today

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mngrassguy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

How would you overcome this objection?

"Thank you for your prior year lawn service.
    I will not be renewing service this year.
    It in no way reflects the quality of your service. Just the current economy.
    Thanks again and please do not restart my lawn service."
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A common problem that we all will be seeing more of. The best thing is to tighten your belt and hope to stay afloat. All the Ice Cream Obama is trying to sell won't change the facts we are going down the tubes. While the economists are telling us 2010 will turn around, I personally don't believe it is going to happen.
  3. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

All you can do is explain that your local economy is still fairly strong, and the reason it is strong is that people are doing more and more business with people who are known to re-utilize their money locally. Spending money at walmart, and tru-green won't help anyone because the profit is being spent out of state... Then offer them a free service.. if that doesn't work.. Lower price.. If that doesn't work.. Buh-Bye...

Bummer.. I got a couple of these last yer...
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

10 years down hill and 1 year back, what fairytale is this again???
  5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

This is the first cancel I've taken so far this year but it's the hardest one to overcome. I've gotten about 50% renewed so far after 10 days.

I know you like to talk politics and I do value your opinion. However, I doubt talking politics with them will help change their minds.:laugh:

What I'm looking for is what can I say to them to get them to change their mind.

I've thought of offering them the first one free...good idea, maybe. I have NEVER given anything away for free other than an estimate or a service call. I hate to start now.

These folk were the only cancel I took last year after I started service and that was just the last app.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Once upon a time there was a great industrialized nation that believed in personal work ethics. However after winning WWII and no other major war. they became so prosperous and lazy. They gave their children Pac Man and X Boxes instead of an education and send all their industry to Asia. They let the unwashed masses into their country to do the work they were to good to do. But still believing they were a world power they lived on credit. Then one day a New Prince came along and told his subjects he would give them all Ice Cream and let future generation pay for it. These people believed him right up until the Chinese moved into their homes and made them plant rice. End of story, nite nite sleep tight.
  7. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I did the freebie thing last year to save a cancel this year no freebie guess what CANCEL!!!!No more freebies from me!:nono:
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

"Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Quotes by-

Thomas Jefferson 1802

I would write a note to this customer and explain that you understand the situation, and if in the future you decide to use a lawn service to keep you in mind.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If that was a written note - I would probably call and dig a little deeper.
    Using the economy as an excuse is lame - people are still personally responsible for themselves - just because the media hypes up the downturn does not mean EVERYONE is in a downturn. In fact if you make that point to this person, and sell the value of what you do, you may just get some of the biz back.
  10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

one free treatment out of 5 is only a 20% discount.. but I've found people actually respond better to the strait 20% on every service for a year..