Took back belt drive for Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by holyshnikies, Jan 24, 2007.

1. holyshnikies

holyshnikies LawnSite Member
    from MO

I just recently purchased a 36 jd G15 belt drive, which i have never used a belt drive, thinking it would work and be at a good price. After just one day i decided this wasnt the one i wanted. By the way i bought it from the dealer used with about 80 hours on it for $1700. SO i the next day took it up and double checked to see if there were any 36 hydros. he said he call back if he had one. he some how got a hold of one that wasnt there the day before lol .
    so i bought this instead( for 300 more ): Scag 36 hydrostatic 15 hp kai w/ 110 hours on it . Got some questions though....

[​IMG]

2. holyshnikies

from MO

? one: is this supposed to be like this or should the piece extend all the way to the edge of the shoot. It kinda looks like it should meet at the edge of the decks shoot

3. holyshnikies

from MO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. holyshnikies

from MO

? Two is this a good mower, ive only used standers and no walkbehinds

5. holyshnikies

from MO

? three does anybody use a proslide xt with one ( scag 36" 15hp Hydro)
    because i purchased one w/it .

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get burned when you touched the mower? 2000 bucks for a dual hydro mower with only 110 hours seems awful cheap especially from a dealer. That's less than 1/2 of what it cost new. Good find.

Added this:

I think that mower has far more than 110 hours on it too. I went back and looked at the pics a little closer and there is just too much rust and pitting, especially under the deck, for that mower to only have 110 hours on it. As long as you're happy though go with it!

7. holyshnikies

from MO

Well the dealer said the guy who bought the mower bought it originally from the dealer from him , and said that when he bought it , it didnt have an hour meter so about a couple weeks after the guy bought it he brought it to the dealer to have an hour meter put on, So it could have been used more than 110 and probably definitly was. BUt could there be much more hours put on in a couple weeks?

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I would do. Lift the front of the mower up and put a block or jackstand under it so the front wheels are hanging loose. Grab the front wheels and see if there is any play in the bearings and check the castors for play too. At 110 hours there should be very, very little to no movement in the bushings or bearings. Now while you have it up in the air remove the blade belt from the top of the deck. Then crawl under it and grab the blades at the tips. Try to move the blades up and down. There should be no movement at all. If you can get ahold of a tire tread depth gauge (I have one) measure the depth of the tire tread from side to side of both tires. The depth should be really, really close everywhere across both tires.

At 110 or even 150 hours these things should still be in "like new" condition.

Don't get me wrong here, the mower looks like it's in great shape, I'm just questioning the low hours on the machine. Even if it has, what it looks like to me, 500 or 600 plus hours you still got a good deal and the mower should last you a long time.

9. holyshnikies

from MO

Thanks for the input, there isnt any play in any of the bearings i havent checked the blades yet, Does anybody know if the piece of the deck in the 3 post from the top of the page look right? It looks like it should meet flush with the edge of the deck at the chute.

10. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not completely sure what a new one would look like, but it doesn't look like what you have there should be any problem. I expect that's the way it came originally. I can't see that any obvious alterations were made.

Scag's mowers are among the toughest mowers made. They're about bullet-proof. Definately a good mower.

The mower does seem to have plenty of paint off for between 100 to 200 hours. But, if it was left in the elements and used hard, its definately possible that it is only that old.

We could easily get 40 to 50 hours on a mower in a couple of weeks during our busy season.