1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Took Mower in 1 wk ago, not looked at

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Jun 14, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Took my Exmark Metro into the dealer last Wednesday, they said it would be Fri. or Sat. before they got a chance to look at it. A little bit of a hassle, had to borrow a WB from a buddy of mine thats out of the business. I went to this particular dealer because they replaced my spindle in 6 hours a few weeks ago.

I called on Sat. and they said it would be Mon. afternoon. I called today (Tues.) and they said to call later. I did, noone would answer.

I'm a solo operation, I depend on this mower. My buddy needs the mower back this weekend. I was talkin to Restrob in the mechanic forum and he said it would need a new Carb- which will prob. have to be ordered. So even if they look at it Wed. I may not even get it back until Sat. Then I leave on vacation Sun.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the realization that a dealer can severely cripple you.
    This SUCKS!
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to my world. My walkbehind has been sitting at the dealer for the last 3 weeks. Needed new spindles, pulleys and belts. 680.00 worth of work. That sucked.
  4. shorty7616

WoW! Must have been all 3 spindles?

This is my 7th year in biz., and I have never had so much trouble with dealers. I am actually contemplating hanging it up (and just leave a few accounts to do). I will be done with my degree in Dec. and almost want some time w/o mowing.

My mower prob. needs a new carb- 105+ labor (30), I mean come on people this isn't an engine rebuild.
  5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

What i am wondering is this. Most of us are fully capable of replacing everything on our mowers. Heck we use them 12 hours a day and can hear when there is a slight problem with them. I believe most of us have been able to fix all of what you just mentioned in about an hour.
  6. If your going to be in this business , you might consider learning to work on the equipment yourself or get a backup.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, if only because dealers are so undependable. I never will ever again leave my mower at a dealer. The only think I cant do is rebuild an engine, and if it comes to that you can get a new one at reasonabel prices now.
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Thats true.. but think about it.. These guys work on these types of equipment everyday. Sure, we can all fix it ourselves but what if its done the wrong way? You might loose your equipment for a few weeks to get it fixed the right way.. im not saying that the dealer doesn't make mistakes.. they do.. but if they do make a mistake they will hopefully make it up to you some how.
  9. shorty7616

My time is important- I would have been more than willing to replace the carb if I would have been told upfront that it would be at least a week before it was even looked at. Its basically a swap of the two Carbs.

When the dealer has gotten my stuff done within HOURS, most everyone on here would take it their instead of being frustrated for a few hours. I wouldn't have imagined a whole week of waiting while a carb got replaced.

A backup mower is out of the question, as this is my last year because I will be graduating in Dec. Why spend $, just to work.?
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really care to mechanic. Not my chosen trade. Most of the time I would rather pay someone else to play greasemonkey. But I now repair what I can when I can. The headache is often about the same though just getting the parts.

Lots of things I won't get into though... and then there is when the mower is under warranty.

What do you guys do on warranty work????