Took my logo and added their name???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Oxmow, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody else ever have their logo or name "stolen"?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. USAProLawnCare

USAProLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Is the artwork portion of your logo custom, or is it something you found online and customized with your name?

I'm just asking, because if the artwork is not custom, then you have to expect that sort of thing to happen.. For example, the artwork in my logo is from a website (wont say which), so I expect to see it somewhere on something.. But yeah I understand the frustration of seeing it locally... My logo is my trademark, so if someone locally copied it, I'd be irritated; But at the same time, I think you are stuck unless you have a copyright.

Just make sure your work isn't "Gay" and nobody will confuse you two :)

3. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Actually it is custom. I had a graphic artist here design it and print it in his shop. He wants to know who copied it (another graphics company) for someone else too.

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Sure, it's frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it, so go on with doing better than he does. From past experience, it's likely not his fault, but the fault of whoever designed it for him, and potentially used your's as "inspiration". Either way, you have no recourse as it's different enough from yours, and not worth dealing with.

On the flip-side, I wonder if he sees yours and says the same thing? I've seen a lot of designers use inspiration, although usually not for the same region.

5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

If you picked the pictures out at a sign company, chances are the company has a disk full of options to use in pictures and business cards. Others sign companys buy the same disc and do the same thing. So like going to the prom and another girl has your dress on. :laugh:

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have scabs steal content on my webpages

7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry didn't see the part were you had it made up. :eek:

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

It's basic clip art anyone has the program(s) ... I'd say your out of luck !

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

If you are that concerned then you should have your logo trademarked. Accept you can't do anything about anyone who has been using the similar logo before your trademark date. Trade marking isn't cheap, if I remember right it was around 1100-1200 to do one trademark for either a company name or logo or slogan. I did 2 logos, 2 company names, and 1 logo at the same time so I got a little bit of a price break.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I see another concealed weapon permit.