1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Took my mulching kit off this weekend...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scchamblee, Jun 2, 2008.

1. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I forgot just how much slower a have to cut with it on. I felt like i was flying around my yard yesterday after taking it off. But all those clippings hitting me in the face sure did suck.
  2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hahaha, funny. I took mine off after a few cuts in heavy growth and I was amazed at the time savings, and the lawns looked better. I'll put it back on this fall.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have said it 1000X on here. I still dont know why anybody would run a mulch kit in the spring or even the summer for that matter. I can see it in the fall for leaves but even then most of our lawns we can mow the leaves in one direction back into the woods or along the curb and the lawn turns out spotless.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Did the same thing here in April...tried cutting a thick, lush, wet fescue yard with it on....what a pain!:hammerhead: I'll side discharge from here on until the fall...
  5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Yeah side discharge is unstoppable. But what if the customer wants mulch and who's gonna clean up after?
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Clean up what?
  7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

That is why it's especially nice to have 2 60" mowers 1 side discharging and 1 mulching. Knock down the heavy growth with 1 and clean up with the other.
    There is always grass clippings when you cut the grass. You can blow them around or mulch them up if you can't hide them. We get so many 30 plus mph winds that sometimes people sit on their decks and I've seen the wind pick up the clippings and blow all over the house deck even when I'm pointed in the other direction. I don't like to do that to my customers even if their in the house I don't want them to see the grass going everywhere. Especially when it's tall and dry. So I hate to be limited to just 1 way. But to each his own.
  8. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

That is a good idea but I am trying to get out of the bus. not get deeper in it. I took a full time job and I am struggling to keep up with the few yards I have left on the weekends (just enough to make the payments). I am trying to sell it but I owe alot on it so I think I am just gonna struggle through it and have nice mower to keep when I get it paid off.
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, I put mine on last spring, first time I put one on a big wb, and we were dry from the git. So it was mulching fine all year, but with all the rain and thick grass, it's just a pita.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Started the spring running my mulch plate in my Quick - then with all the rain we've gotten the entire Spring, took it off a couple weeks later and haven't used it since. The striping is just about as good with side discharge as mulch, so heck with the mulcher for now....