1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Took the zoysia less than 1"

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Apr 18, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Green Doc, hopefully you'll see this post. I still have a little leveling to do on the lawn and still have to get the reel sharpened up. I found a dealer that's going to do it this week. I'm going to continue working on the levelness, but I went ahead and broke out the reel. Cut a little less than 1". I can tell a huge difference in the quality of the cut. I can only imagine when the blades are sharpened. Hoping to see the lawn thicken up even more now.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great. Keep it up and you will see the grass tighten up. The first cut with a reel will make the grass look thin, might even look like you killed the lawn. Then the grass grows as it should. No longer yanked and battered by a dull spinning blade. On a less than countertop flat lawn, my first choice is a reel, preferably one with front and rear rollers. A rotary scalps a lot unless it is kept way high. Fine for cool season or St Augustine, not for other grasses.