Tool Bins

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MWM, Mar 30, 2002.

1. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

We are about 3 weeks from moving our shop to a new location and I want to see how others build tool lockers for their crews. We will need about 12 of them. At our current location we built them out out of 2x4's and plywood but I would like to make the new ones out of something that would be less labor intensive to build while being durable. Have thought about chain link fence. Has anyone used fence material for this before?

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Yes ...we put up 8 chainlink "lockers" this winter(in the shop). They are about 3' x 3 'x 6' high open on the top with locking capibility.
    Each crew will have a color coded locker . There are enough tools (again color coded )for a 3 man crew in each and a tool box with various hand tools. Tools will now be counted on a weekly basis.

Some guys are already complaining about the weekly inspection ...funny ...same guys that their tools were found dumped in the fill pile while cleaning it up.
    I think these cages will work out fine ... the shop seems complete now...
    another addition was a "regular gas" tank in the yard ... we always had 2 diesal tanks ( one dyed the other regular) but this will really be nice. ..Sorry got a bit off topic ... I ll post a pic of the lockers when I get a chance.

3. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

kris,

It sounds like we are on the same page with color coding and inspections. I've gotten tired of replacing equipment that is lost or needs to be replaced because of misuse or abuse. I was actually thinking of larger lockers for the crews. Hand tools and equipment won't take up much room but I want them to be able to store their wheel barrows and other larger items that are issued to them. We try to work four ten hour days and if they aren't locked up on a day the foreman is off they get legs. I was thinking of 4' wide x 8' deep.

4. kris

from nowhere

MWM,

I was a bit worried about the size of ours but being against a wall and the hand tools hung up on in it, seems about right for us. Wheelbarrows are not kept in these.
    As I posted, these are brand new so I cant give you any feedback on how they will work out. We also hung boards inside each with a list of the tools...
    We keep some shared equipment locked up...chainsaws etc
    A mechanics "chest" full of wrenches etc is also locked up.

A tip about color coding shovels etc... paint them at the bottom ..not where their hands will be.. it's been my experience that painted handles are really hard on the hands.

5. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We just color coded our tools this winter. Painted two colors on each tool, one for the company/base color and one for the crew or shop color. Found some of the paint is already wearing off, and it's worse on the fiberglass handles than it is on wooden handles. Some wear is fine, but when it comes off completely, we've got to be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions for brand of paint or preparation that would be required?

6. kris

from nowhere

sorry its a bit late ... normally the tractor in the pic would be outside.

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Another way to have tool bin lockers is to buy the type used to store bottled gas containers -- some of the defunct home hardware centers had these bins outside for the size used for bbq grills and they work great for storing tools.

8. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

Thanks kris. Thanks Lanelle.

kris by the way; to add a gasoline tank at your shop did you have to go through a permitting and inspection process? And give up the naming rights to your third born?

9. kris

from nowhere

yes ... pretty much ;) .. we are constantly looking for ways to be more efficient ... although most of the trucks are diesal there are a few that are not, as well as fuel needed for small equipment... it hurt to see 3-4 guys at the gas station, standing around filling a 5 litre can .... also we filled it at .42c a litre ..its now up to .69 here this weekend .. alot of savings there. Theft becomes a issue that was not there with the diesal ... we have the pump wired to a special plug in the shop that can be shut off ... as well as a strictly enforced log system.