1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tool boxes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Z-master man, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Z-master man

Z-master man LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys have for tool boxes in the beds of your trucks and what do you carry in them?

2. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

guess I'll be first- just a plain 'deep' alluninum box made for a truck. It locks so I keep little bit of everything at times. usually thou I keep pruning shears- hand tools-wratchet set,..extra chain- come-a-long, chainsaw if I need it. occasionally I'll put gas can in..but depends if I'm at a parking lot and going inside a building. I also at times put my hand blower in there. in fall I take box out and haul leaves in bed (bagged) so then I just take what I have too in cab behind seat- rest on trailer.

3. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I like Weatherguard. They're a little pricey, but they're definitely built to last.

4. PonyExpress94

PonyExpress94 LawnSite Member

X 2 for Weatherguard. My dad, brother, and I have them on our trucks and they are the best boxes out there. If you buy them from a local vendor usually you can order replacement latches, keys, lid struts. If you have multiple boxes on the truck you can get them keyed alike. I carry hand tools, spare oil, coolant, fuel and oil filters, and my trailer hitches. My dad is an electrical contractor so he has three toolboxes full of all his meters, wire, drills, saws, spare parts, wirenuts, fittings, conduit benders, trailer hitches, etc.

Oh yeah, the best thing we ever did was get the inside of the toolboxes on our trucks sprayed with Rhino Liner. $200 and you never get the aluminum dust on your stuff from sliding on the bare aluminum finish.

5. Z-master man

Z-master man LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody have "under rail" boxes? Like the type that sits in the bed but you can have like a toneo cover over it?

6. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

I like tool boxes but my f150 has a 6ft bed and with a box that eats up space, so i got 2 of the fender boxed thatmount under the bed rail and they take up little space and hold all my tools and misc items that i like to have with me even if i dont have my trailer, o and they lock however they are spendy

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

8ft bed in my f150 with a Kobalt box it came with the truck but its been good to me. I have a Husky in my Silverado again it came with the truck it is also good. I like the one that opens as one instead of the side openings.

8. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

Mine open from the top, no sliders

9. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Better Built makes a pretty good box, I've had the quantum series cross body box sense 2001 and its still looks like new. I do like the weatherguard brand a lot though but kinda pricy. I got tow straps, hand tools, ratcheting straps, bungie cords, gloves, rags, small shovel, rain poncho, jumper cables, and some other misc. things in mine.

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

I am plan use my 95 F250 look like this one.

I have 2 free tool boxes they aren't cheap it came from Belle Tires.

Ladder rack is $500 new:cry: But after stare at ladder rack I believe I could build with steel pipes for under $80.

This was taken on I-94 it was tough to get picture of that. Driver was cruise 94 mph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]