tool for sharpening blades under $100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adam5557, Aug 7, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have been looking for something to sharpen blades and would really like one of those $300 sharpeners but just dont have the money yet. What would you buy if you only had $100 to spend on a blade sharpener?thank you.any help would be apprecciated

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a bench grinder. Well under 100 bux.

3. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Any specific product i should buy and if i buy a bench grinder how do i set it up to sharpen blades to get the right angle.thanks

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I use an angle grinder and a vise to hold the blade. It works better than a bench grinder for me.

5. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Any More Tools Guys?

6. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a ingersol rand 90 degree die grinder and put a scotchbrite sander in it ( little 3 inch discs of sandpaper and steel wool) i use the sand paper first, then i use the steel wool to give it a really nice edge, cost me all of about 65 bucks total

7. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

this has already been said but since i use both a bench grinder and angle grinder, i think they are the easiest way to go for under $100. if you don't have a lot of experience with grinders, i'd say get the angle grinder and vise grip because i think it'll be a little bit easier at first.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Handheld grinder is find to be the best.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 8" bench grinder that I mounted on a wood bench, then I held a new blade against the wheel, adjusted a 2x4 under the blade until the angle was right & mounted it to the bench, now all i do is fire up the grinder & run the blades across it, perfect angle every time. basically the same set up as a blade grinder only very cheap compared. be sure to get the really good balancer, I got mine from Foley-Belsaw for 80 bucks. heres a link, scroll to the bottom of the page. :D
    http://www.foley-belsaw.com/Sharpening Equipment for Lawn Mower Blade.html

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont have an angle set on my bench grinder. I make all my edges perfectly by hand.