1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tool Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Dec 7, 2004.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

How many of you guys have welders? What type, both brand and amperage...arc or mig? I'm wondering what type i should get, i know how to arc, but mig seams nice (for the thin metal) and easy....but SOOOOO expensive.

As always i apprechate your help! :waving:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Really depends on what you'll be welding. If your welding thicker metal go with an arc welder. Arc welders are a little more messey because they have a lot of spatter and slag to chip off. MIG welders are good for thinner metal and is a very clean process but like you said they are very expensive. If you want a mig big enough to weld thicker metal you would have to get a miller 210 or 250. They will weld 3/8" steel for the 210 and 1/2" steel for the 250 is the maximum thickmess for each machine. The cost is around $1600 for the 210 and $2000 for the 250 but you probibly don't want to spend that much.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Lincoln 135 mig. Runs off 110 outlet. Nice for the small stuff and does good on repairs up to 1/4" thick metal. I don't need much more than that. If I have a really big weld to do I run it down the the Local welder and he only charges roughly 5 bucks an inch give or take the size of the job.
    I was able to weld up a very sturdy gate for my trailer last winter with the one I own now and could probably build a 3500lb trailer if need be. but if you are wanting larger material to weld definitely go with the biger welder. It will more than pay for itself in a max of 5 years. Mine paid for itself in about 6 months with little extras that I built onto the trailer and trimmer/ blower racks.