1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tools and equipment to start up lighting division

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 8, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

What are the necessary tools and equipment to start up a lighting company. I am thinking of taking some classes on the subject but was wondering what things one needs to own and can rent to make this division work. I am hoping maybe some of it is duplication with the rest of our landscaping business.

I know it is very broad but please get me started int he right direction.
  2. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

If you are already doing landscape installations, you are most of the way there. Landscape lighting takes very little additional equipment to get started. Two critical components you need are knowledge and a good voltmeter/clamp-on ammeter. The first (knowledge) will be used at all times on every job, so it is a must-have. The second (multimeter) is the tool that will allow you to implement the knowledge you have gained.

I cannot stress the importance of training. There is more to be learned in one day of training than in many months of lighting installations. If you go to a good seminar, you will learn everything from design to sales and marketing to bidding to installation. You will also learn why this multimeter is so important.

You can definitely start with burying wire by hand, but if you get to doing very much lighting, you will probably want to buy one of the many mini trenchers or ground saws on the market.