tools and parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thenewguy, May 9, 2002.

1. thenewguy

thenewguy LawnSite Member

Hello, I was wonder what parts to you have in stock and what tools do you have. I know this is a very hard question to answer for example how many spark plugs, belts air filters do you cary per mower or weed wacker. or what tools do you buy , scockets up to 1 inch. air compressor. so lets say you had a 48" mower would you have 3 drive belts, 5 blades 3 spark plugs ect. what tools are worth investing in. What i am basicly asking what do you have besides a truck, trailer, mower, weed wacker, edgers and blowers. Did a search and couldn't find any thing?

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

For the trucks
    Extra blades,every belt for every mower,sockets and wrenches up to a inch, basic tool set (screwdrivers,hammers,pliers etc.) filters,plugs,oil,tarps,rain gear,extra bolts and screws,tire plugs and mini air compressor

The shop
    weilder,blade grinders,jacks,air compressors,drill press,and enough tools to make a mechanic jealous.

also furnace and air conditioner
    and last but not least a frig full of beer.

As for what to get
    1 of everything plug,belt,filters (oil,air,fuel) set of extra blades,oil
    As for tools a air compressor and impact wrench saves alot of time and effort. A basic tool set will get you started and through time you will reliaze what other tools you need. I have been doing this for over ten years and I am still buying tools.
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i noticed you said 5 blades with a 48 inch mower. i am assuming this is the only mower you have. always carry an even number of blades. if you have to change one for any reason you'd probably want to change all of them so no one blade is sharper than the rest for a good cut. just a thought.
  4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out you buy what you can afford and buy what you need and buy what you skills can handle. It doesn't make sense to buy tools you don't know how to use or would use very infrequently (once every two or three years). I'm a big believer in buying the right tool for the job - but it takes time.

For parts on our equipment, we stock the stuff that needs to be replaced frequently. We have 10 stihl back packs, 4 Power Trim Edgers, 4 Tanaka line trimmers, 6 lawn boys, etc. So we'll buy enough air filters, spark plugs, carb parts, that we know we'll use during the season. Hypothetically speaking, if we know we'll go through two spark plugs for the back packs each year - we'll buy 20 for the BP's, another 10 for the line trimmers, another 8 for the hedge trimmers, etc. Rather than buying lengths of starter rope when we needed it, we have spools of the various sizes so we cut it when we need it.

Most of our major equipment work is done during the winter - replacing belts, pulleys, and so forth. We try to just do preventative and perodic maintenance during the season. We keep spare/back up equipment in the garage so if something goes down, the crew switches it out. This way they're not doing work out in the field when they should be producing. They carry a limited tool set in the truck. Enough to change blades, remove a recoil, etc. If you don't have back up equipment and you're solo - you might decide to carry more tools. It's also more of a liability on the truck since it's easier for them to get stolen.
  5. Tools
    Lots of hand & power tools
    small engine spec tools
    O/A and arc welding
    Tap & die set
    gear puller for pullys etc.
    pressure washer

Don't forget an assortment of nuts, bolts,pins on the truck.

I try to keep at least one blade, belt, filter, plug, and cable for every piece of equuipment on hand.