Tools at the Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at Home Depot the other day and saw they sell Echo stuff.

They have trimmers for $200 and blowers for $250.

So my question is, is this the real deal-good stuff, or something made just for them, like Wal-mart.

I need new trimmers for this year and my choices are

what would you buy?

p.s. the stihl dealer is having a sale on the fs80 for $250 is that a good price.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Red Max

or shindawa
  3. Eric 1

not an option.
  4. Gabriel Turf

Gabriel Turf LawnSite Member

The Home Depot stuff is at the lower end of Echo's line. Spend an extra $100 an get something more appropriate. Nothing better than using the right tool for the job.

As far as advice, do some searches on "best trimmers", etc. and you will find lots of great threads that will help your decision.
  5. Eric 1

Gabriel Turf

Thanks, thats what i wanted to know.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Some of the stuff from mass merchandisers can be used in a small operation but, service is where the difference will be. A dealer that will help you out and service the machine in a timely way is worth more than you can imagine at this time.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If those are your only choices go for husky. You will not be disappointed in price, as well as weight and power.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

They're from the regular Echo line, but more likely to be the lower end of the price spectrum. I've used 4 different echo trimmer models, from 2100 to 3100 models, and they all did about the same for lawn trimming and edging (not brush cutting, where power counts), except the srm 3100 was way too heavy and made my arms ache. I consider trimmers nearly disposable items anyway, I get two seasons out of them and that's fine if they're still working, fine if not. The most expensive unit has been more trouble than the cheaper ones, so I don't think the low end ones are less well made. So a $175 srm 2100 that lasts two years or a $400 SRM 3100 (or whatever they're making now) that lasts 4, not a big difference to me. I mostly used SRM 2400's in the past, I think that's been replaced with the 260, which I DID have problems with and which finally died after a less than stellar career.

But at about $100/year to own them, it's not really one of my major concerns. As long as it's comfortable and does the job.

And as far as service, probably not a factor for me on a cheap trimmer. Anything I can't diagnose and fix myself is probably too expensive to be worth anyway on a $200 or $300 item.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of making these things last 10 years like some? Blowers, on the other hand, which cost $400-$500, are another matter.....quality and power makes a bigger difference there. Avoid the HD ones on that.
  9. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'll fess up a bit I own one of those low end Echo's from Home Depot, bought it due to fiscal concers over starting up. The thing is, the Echo210 I got has worked fine for the smaller jobs and the amounts that UI have, but if and when I kick it up and take on more, like this year, I am upgrading to a Shindi. Make sure of those three choices you gave go with Commercial if you have the $$$ to do it, if not then you can get by until the $$$$ come in with the echo line at the depot...JMHO.
  10. Jim H

Jim H LawnSite Member

$250 for a FS80 is a fair price. Just bought a new one this year for $260 and it was on sale.