Tools that don't fail

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

These are the tools that I couldn't live with out. Having the right tools makes all the difference in the would.

Ford 1 Ton Diesel Dumps.
    Shovels and hand tampers by Robert Histand.
    Stihl Demo Saws.
    Empire e70 4' level (lifetime warranty), Stanley dead blow hammers, Pave Tech Slabgrabber, Kobalt 3lb sledge, Trow and Holden chisels.

Does any one have any unordinary specialty tools they might be able to add to this post. Home made tools, old tools, or the state of the art type stuff?

ford.jpg

Tools.jpg

Robert H Histand.jpg

Stihl.jpg

hand tools.jpg

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that stihl looks way too new to make the claim about it not failing.....

we have that pavetech deadblow...... WOW it rocks.... $150.00, but WOW, it is awesome...

i have yet to find a plate tamp that does not break the corners off

but the trow and holden stuff..... NICE.....

3. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahaha... Pavetech 1, Contractor 0. They're nothing special. You can find them all day long in the import tool stores.

You paid how much???? hahaha :hammerhead: :dizzy:

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The stihl is brand new, replaced an older model that I purchased used. On that topic, what are preferences for blades? I find that the Home Depot (Quazar) brand blades don't hurt the wallet and last just as long as the MK equivalent. I use them on the skill saw as well.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Dixie Diamond makes a blade that we get here for 65 and it seemed to last forever.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The Histand line of tools (pictured in first post) won't do you wrong.

Can't necessarily agree on the Fords though; both of ours are going to be going in soon- the 550 has the diesel turbo squealing, and the 350's rearend chatters when you put it in reverse (limited slip diffy...).

Topcon lasers are good investments too. Wouldn't buy a CST if it was the last laser out there.

7. ChampionLS

CST is one of the biggest laser manufacturers out there. I have three CST lasers that auto level and have the grade feature. When doing a driveway, you set the grade angle, and you have a perfect sloping driveway with no guesswork. I can level ALL the base by myself, with just a rake in one hand and the receiver stick in the other. I have one guy who brings in a bucket at a time of QP with a skid steer, until we are ready for the sand. Mine takes D batteries that lasts about 20 hours of continuous use before needing to be replaced. Definitely the best time saving tool I've even owned.

57-LMH.jpg

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

not like the one they sell.....

i don't think you know what the one i bought actually is....
    this one has the replaceable ends of different densities. we got the big one/two handed one...and all the associated ends..

i have yet to see any other deadblow like it anywhere.

since they do not make it i am sure you can get it for less, but not much less (with the different heads included) for much less....

heck, a regular deadblow is $30.00....

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand they are also one of the worst as far as repairs and customer service.

I'll stick with our Topcon rotary grade laser. It's $3k+, but it's worth every penny. 4 "D" batteries that will run all day long for at least 3-4 days in a row. And if it needs serviced (hasn't needed it in the 3 years we've had it), one phone call will get us a loaner within a day. Good luck with CST if you ever need to send yours in for service!

10. ChampionLS

Theres not much to go wrong with it. (Unless, perhaps.. somebody is careless with it and drops it) Nobody on my crew touches the laser. I'm in charge of that. I even keep the case clean with windex. I've had mine since 2001 and it works great. I started out with the Robo laser that Home Depot sells.. or used to sell. It's self leveling too, but does not rotate. It comes with a remote control to "aim" it at your storypole. It's not so great for pavers, due to the many checkpoints, but for a retaining wall, its fine. I now keep it in my estimating vehicle, so I can quickly check for grade changes on hills or slopes. Saves a lot of time and money in guessing.