tools

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mr.Lawn, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey folks, I had a quick question. I am just starting out and was putting together a tool box to carry with me. Can anyone help. Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the size of the toolbox in your trailer or truck, a decent toolbox can be one of your best assets. If you don't have the trailer space...make it. You atLEAST want a decent toolset. Craftsman's sets like their 263 piece set are a great start. They have all the essentials, and you aren't digging and hunting for the stuff you need. It's fast and easy. these sets are excellent and are often on sale for as little as around $160. Now, as you go on, you will learn that you always want to carry extras with you like an assortment of nuts and bolts, screws, cotterpins, some wire, rope, electrical tape, duct tape, some extra fuel caps and/or rubber seal rings, breaker bar, and various other things. Stuff like the assorted nuts and bolts, I carry in the cake tins like what fruitcakes come in. The assorted cotterpins and keys, I keep in a plastic compartment container. All of this goes into a truckbox type toolbox that is a bit smaller. It is a poly chest. A seperate set of tools (the craftsman set described above) rides seperate in the underbody box of the truck. Anyway, these are some of the ESSENTIALS that you want or need to carry. Of course, don't forget fire extinguishers and a first aid kit.

3. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

I also like to put hand cleaner,eye wash, two cycle oil, grease gun and even my small hand tool's like bypass prunner's ect.

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget a hook knife, dedicated rachets w/sockets and a cheater pipe to change blades, spare blades, lug wrench and screw type scissor jack for flat tires.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a poly box for the tounge of the trailer.
    In it I have- Tool box w/ sockets, wrenches, hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, knives, tape measure. (Gonna buy a Craftsman set next year)
    Come-along winch, gloves, pruners, hedge clippers, Sea Foam, oil, grease gun, saftey glasses, saftey vest, ear muffs, first-aid kit, fire ext., straps, trimmer line, rags, belts, spare parts, sunflower seeds, etc.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I also have the poly-box on my trailer tongue. In addition to the things mentioned I like to keep an assortment of sprinkler heads and risers, a jack-stand, a hammer and some nails (ever knock a board off a fence). I keep a few particulars that help me out, 1 is the exact size wrench for changing the blades on my WBs, way better than an adjustable, I also keep a spare starter rope housing for my WBs with fresh rope, loaded and ready to go if we break a starter rope. I also keep spare belts and blades.

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Agree with the assortment of sprinkler head parts, also: starter fluid, jumper cables, air filters and spark plugs for all machines, and I can't tell you how many times a roll of 12 guage wire has come in handy for quick repairs.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think the above posters took care of everything. Keeping a change of clothes in some sort of sealed bag in there or in the truck isnt' a bad idea either. Bug spray and wasp/hornet spray are definitely good things to keep in there as well.....

9. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

where can i pick up one of these tongue tool boxes? and how much do they run?

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my box at Wal-Mart for $45. Mine isn't made for the tounge, but I mounted it on there with some 2x4's.