tools?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by moparman, Jan 28, 2007.

1. moparman

moparman LawnSite Member
    from pa

what tools should i get i need a complete set. where can i get one and how much?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I have my preferences on tools but you didn't indicate how much of the "long green" that you're willing to part with. The sky is the limit if you go the Snap On, Matco or Mac route.

Dutch

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Snap On are great tools but your talking lots of $$$$$. I have always had good luck with hand tools from Sears.

4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can buy a "compete set". I have been buying tools for over 15 years and I still don't have a complete set. Are you talking about sockets and wrenches, metric or standard, air tools, irrigation tools, plumbing tools, carpentry tools, HVAC tools? There are a lot of tools that you might need in the course of being a man, husband, father, LCO, do-it-youselfer.

All this considered, you can go down to Sears and buy one of their tool sets that will set you back a couple hundred bucks. They are pretty good tools for the price. The more you try to work on and fix stuff yourself, the more tools you will have to buy. I have tools in my building, garage, my dad's house, and in both trucks. Ya never can have too many tools.

Oh, one more thing- if ya let someone "borrow" a tool, make sure you write the person's name down and what tool they "borrowed" so when you go to look for that tool when you need it, you know who to call up because they "forgot" that they had it.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I bought a set from sears too. Nothing wrong with craftsman hand tools. I think I started off with a 260 piece set. You'll just have to by a 15/16 wrench and socket if you use that size to get your blades off. I went a few days after christmas and got stuff real cheap. Dont forget to get a good set in a case for your truck. Make user you get a travel set with screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, and alen wrenches. You may find you need a tork set too.

6. don t

don t LawnSite Member
    from mi

7. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to guess your in the mowing business, and you should allready have the basic tools ok?
    But for a repair guy fixing mower i would say the 2 best tools you need to invest in is a good set of pulley/gear pullers and a hydrolic press. A press to push out deck and spendel bardings. Pullers to get any size pulley gear or flywheel off.

Id like to say go get the bigest and the best you can find but these two types of tools can range from way to cheap to many thousands. I know many guy pick on Harbor Friegt, but there tools are good enogh for many of the mower repairs i have found.

8. Bumblebee the mower

Bumblebee the mower LawnSite Member

Go to sears,join the craftsman tool club and buy what you need the most first. As your skills develop so will your diversity of your toolbox. Remember the guarantee of Craftsman tools. I hear from people I know in the industry that getting Snap-on to replace broken pieces ia a real hassle.

9. libby_arts

libby_arts LawnSite Member

Just go ahead and buy 2 of everything. Because it doesn't matter which one your looking for, it wouldn't be found. So, if you have 2, you have a better chance of finding one. Equally important, your toolbox will grow over night. If you are looking for a 1/2 you will be happy to notice that instead of 2, 9/16 you now have 5 and the 2, 7/16 have increased to 4. You will also see that most of the other sizes have increase also from the original 2 to at least 3 of each. Plus, the you will still have one left when someone steals the other one.

10. crawford_darrel

crawford_darrel LawnSite Member
    from NE Iowa

Buy a good name set that will hold their value and that you can get replacements easily. Go to a big city pawn shop and buy them for half price. then while your in the buying mood get a good box to put them in. Spend a full day or more making a special place for everyone you have so when it isn't in tha tplace you know it and go look for it now! Then don't loose or let anyone use them. Lastly give them to your son when you chase in.