TOOLS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Feb 3, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If anyone has some info on harbor freight tools etc
    I would appreciate any opinions or input. thanks

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you asking about the quality of them? I sorta go by in life the saying, " you get what you pay for ". My experience with this place surprised me a little though. I purchased a cut-off wheel tool from them for $50 and the thing lasted 10 years. It got alot of use and went the distance, actually the reason it's no good anymore is I dropped it and broke the aluminum housing, it might still be with me if I didn't do that. I think with less expensive items that they primarily carry you might have good and/or bad luck. I guess my experience was good, even though for some stupid reason after it broke I replaced it with a $150 Snap-On tool. Why I did that is beside me. Convenience of a weekly payment I guess.

3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

I get harbor freight catalog and have known some people who have ordered from them. I haven't. Basically, I would agree that "you get what you pay for". Don't expect a cheap tool to perform or last like an expensive one. For instance, I found a chop saw for, I think, $99. Probably be ok for occasional, hobbist use. I wouldn't expect it to stand up under heavy or daily use. Hope this helps.

Mick

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've bought a few thinks from them and have never had any problems. They carry alot of "off the wall" items that are other wise hard to find. Here's their web site, http://www.harborfreight.com/

5. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have bought several tools from them.
    The only ones I have not been happy with was
    the 100 pc screwdriver tips.
    I have a chop saw, several Pitsburg locking welding pliers,
    tap and die set, metal bending equip, and many other small items,, DO NOT waste your money on the back pack sprayer, it is pure junk.
    They are worth a try if you can't buy top quality

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks fellas i appreciate the info.LATER ON

7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

At first glance it looks like harbor has more of the
    real cheap stuff ,example 18v cordless drill forty bucks
    which sounds a little to good.Harbor also carries reconditioned tools.Most of those tools were brought
    back because buyers didnt understand tool.FUNNY
    I would love to have a buisiness reconditioning returned
    tools.
    Northern at fist glance seems to carry a larger spectrum
    of products.Ill look at it more later.thanks much
    ps if anybody has tried that drill and worked it hard
    id like to know your thoughts on it.

9. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I do belive that they have started to go down hill in the last few years. I now buy alot of my tools form e-bay. I get the out of pawn snap-on stuff. The deal guys have had no problems with it.