Tooooo much weight!!!!!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FATWEASEL, Jan 23, 2007.

1. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Had a fellow at work unloading some skids of pipe on uneven ground and on a small lift. Picked up 2 skids of 1-1/2", no problem. The other two was a 1-1/2" and 3/4", a good bit heavier.

2. FATWEASEL

from NC

3. ye..ouch:cry: :cry: :cry:

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats the easy way to do the underside inspection. looks like they put a new transmission in that thing recently.

5. FATWEASEL

from NC

That's not a new transmission, that's a new forklift.:laugh: They dirty up pretty quick.

He was lucky that he had his seat belt on or he would have been thrown into the mast. He's even luckier that the forks or the skids didn't let go until they got it lowered with another lift.

Look Ma! No wheels!!!:hammerhead:

Enjoy!

View attachment forklift2.BMP
    View attachment forklift3.BMP

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch, you got lucky no big damage or the worst case scenario.

7. FATWEASEL

from NC

I WAS lucky! I was at home that day! Otherwise, I would have probably had to help clean that crap up!:laugh: :cool2:

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've been there with a compact Lull........hydraulics went out and I started tipping.......no way to stop, just hold on for the ride. Its a story at least haha.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

lower the load and level the fork lift out

10. FATWEASEL

from NC

He was already tilted all the way back. He had backed up making a 90* turn and started rolling forward in loose gravel when the @ss end started coming off the ground. He tapped his brake :hammerhead: but it would have been too late anyway. No hydraulics THAT fast unless the hose burst.:)

He probably should have known the back end was light when he started picking it up but we've all done it a thousand times. Unfortunately, it's expected to get the job done QUICKLY until something like this happens. THEN, you get the, "What were you thinking. You know that's not safe. You should have known better. I'm sorry but we're going to have to make an example out of you, mister!".

Contributing factors that could have been avoided: 1. He was sent to do the job with the wrong equipment. Should have used someone with a heavier lift. 2. The trailer was parked in the gravel. Again, the bigger lifts are dually front axles and 4 prong that can handle the uneven ground. 3. He was not familiar with the weight of the pallets and they are not clearly marked (2 identically wrapped pallets but one can weigh 2x as much as the other.

Know your comfort zone. Sometimes, you just gotta say "Hey, I don't feel comfortable doing this job. I'm afraid I might screw up something or get hurt."

:)