Top 10 pieces of advice for the new guy

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AMW Landscaping, Apr 14, 2014.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

True, true... I haven't counted over the years, but I know it's been at least over a dozen clients we've picked up because the other guys just wouldn't do what they said, or they just wouldn't show up regularly. I mean, if you're full time why in the world wouldn't you keep a regular schedule?

I think people are also afraid to properly price their services and end up letting the homeowner talk them into doing a lot of freebies that should have $5, $10 tacked on.

Oh ya... also do the little things that count! If it's trash day on a property we are on, we take the cans back to the house. If the newspaper is on the grass, we put it on the porch. If there are some toys in the yard, move them out of the way.

Don't get me started on the last one, but I can't count the number of guys I see out there that are too lazy to move a freaking basketball or powerwheels car, whatever out of the way. That looks so horrible on the LCO to leave something in the yard that can easily be moved and just mow around and leave a mess.

2. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Referring to #5 if you could please elaborate on that one a little. I'm new to this business, and I came close to ripping off a sprinkler head today, and wondered what I would've done if I would've hit that. Where do I purchase what your referring to thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It always seems like i hit the invisible fence for the dog. I always have some weather proof wire nuts with me to do a repair.

4. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Keep a first aid kit avalible , have super glue
    If a hege shear hits your knee cap the glue is fast and has saved the day 3-4 times over the years.

Keep baby wipes on hand, or a water cooler of Luke warm water( no ice) : you never know when dog mess will end up on a workers face.... Our yours,
    Oil, grease, grass slime, you never know when you will become dirty on job.

GET A SPARE TIRE FOR YOUR TRAILER
    you never know when you will have a flat 10 miles out and it looks so professional to go 10 mph and everyone hearing thud,thud thud.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

If you break one here, you get a fine for wasting water, or a guy comes out and fixes it. Then you get a bill for 90$

These are the removal tools

http://www.google.com/search?q=sprinkler+riser+removal+tool&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=7kNPU5LVB-m6yAGVl4C4AQ&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA

You press it in to the remaining piece of the riser and it cuts into the sides just enough to let you un-screw it.

I keep a small tote with a few of the most common sprinkler parts. A few of each size riser from 1/2" to 6" in length. A few different pop up heads and an assortment of nozzles. 1/4" drip line and conectors, because you'll find some one day with a string trimmer :laughing:
    I also have glue, primer,tape, wire, wire nuts, Rainbird solenoids a cheap 6 chanel timer and a few small scraps of 1/2" and 3/4" PVC pipe with me. The time it takes to go to home depot and back, takes more time than the simple repairs do. My "kit" has more in it than I'd take if I only did mows, but i do a lot of irrigation work.

I'd check to see if you have a JDL (John Deere Landscapes) or Ewing Irrigation close by. They offer classes sometimes, but I've never been. May be worth looking into and they can answer some of your questions
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. AMW Landscaping

Never heard of that around here. Must be based on location

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

It's limited liability company
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AMW Landscaping

Corporation and company are the same thing.

9. 205mx

Not at all
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 205mx

Not exactly
    Posted via Mobile Device