Top 10 Reasons To Get Into The Business Of Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by next12mj, Jul 19, 2007.

1. next12mj

next12mj LawnSite Member

My dad doesnt support my descion to try to get into it next season. Give me some reasons i can give to him. I dont think he understands the money in the industry and is scared for me to invest money into a mower.
  2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

#1-#10 = $60+ hr
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Some of the most wealthiest people would not be who they are today without having to take risk.
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You can hire unskilled labor.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You would have done better to ask for the 10 reasons not to get into lawn business. I don't think good work ethics are being learned any longer when people think they can make $60/hr, more than most educated professionals. But over the long haul.....not going to continue the big bucks in a very low skill highly competitive environment without expanding and very few are able to do that. I would guess that less than 1% stay around to make full time living for life.
  6. geckos

geckos LawnSite Member

went through this 2 years ago with my wife
    #1 more money than working for some one else
    #2flexibility of hours/days
    #3 working outdoors is better than inside
    #4 mowing keeps you in shape(or gets you in shape)
    #5 it doesnt take long to pay off your investment if you dont go crazy buying
    #6 winter time off unless you plow and then you get more money
    #7 it is a field that will always be needed
  7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Same as any business I think.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Just what I was thinking, too !!
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty much it boils down to what do you offer that is different than other LCO's?
    As with all businesses education is an important factor.
    So, what do you know about turfgrass, the varietal types and maintenance practices?
    Kentucky is in the transition zone for C3 and C4 turfgrasses.
    Provided you are willing to make a commitment to understand the environment you are choosing, grounds maintenance isn't a bad way to make a living.
    I, for one, cannot offer you reasons to stay in the turfgrass industry unless YOU understand what you are doing.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

next12, ... how old are you?

The $60/hr rate is attractive? Really? For those of us mowing for primarily for residential customers, those folks are doing a whole lot better than that. Their income makes it possible to hire somebody to do the mundane task of lawn mowing. There is much more to the story than making $60/hr for short bursts. That argument is highly misleading.