1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top 100 LCO's..Where Did These Numbers Come From?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DISCLAIMER: BEFORE some of you wisenhimers start.....I am NOT in any way referring too, talking about, or even suggesting by company in anyway, not no how, not at all, in starting this thread. :laugh:

This is though a serious question.

In a recent trade publication that I receive and that I'm sure most of you get (unnamed on this thread though) their main story was "their" Top 100 of the Biggest LCO's in the Country. The story was written as "THE Top 100 LCO's" not the Top 100 Public traded, or from those that "submitted" financials, but what they at least imply IS THE Top 100...period. BUT, where did they get their revenue figures for to rank these "Top 100". The reason I ask is that while I realize that a couple of them are public companies and their figures are public record, but many/most of them are not. Even when INC'ed or LLC'ed their sales numbers can be kept private. The Top #1 company was as we all know Tru-Green at sales of 1.5B and the 100th company was xxxx with sales of $6.5M.

Now the reason I ask this is because I PERSONALLY know at least four LCO's whose revenues exceed that $6.5M mark......one of whom in based in another state from me but works in 4 states and I know he has revenue's that exceed $12M (which would put him around number 75 on this "Top 100" list......however he nor any of the other couple of very sucessful LCO's I know are on there at all.

What gives and "whose" list is this really and how accurate is it really.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense but if sales figures are all that is being used for ranking purposes, then I am not impressed.
  3. MMLawn

GEEZZZ....why are you even in business then???? :dizzy: Because everything comes back to the Revenue because that is what pays for everything else....that my friend is how ALL businesses are ranked for sucess......REVENUE.....that's why for profit businesses exsist
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Congratlations on 2nd spot Mike you have done well :clapping:

Your buying the food and drinks at this years Lawn Site BBQ.:laugh: :laugh:

I didnt make the list this year but there is always next year :)
  5. MMLawn

Yeah....right :laugh:

BTW, Valley Crest was #2......Brickman was all the way down to #4 :laugh:
  6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

You guys probably don't know this but my company is on that list. And YES YOUR SALES are the main thing that show your success.

How can you tell a successful business?

Year 1: $25,000 sales
    Year 2: $100,000 sales
    Year 3: $150,000 sales
    Year 4: $300,000 sales
    Year 5: $1,000,0000 sales

It doesn't matter if they do the ******** job in the world, they are successful!

Oh j/k my business didn't make the list. This year. :weightlifter:
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

It makes no sense.

My previous life, I owned 5 pizzerias. At the same time, I would buy then sell pizzerias.

We had a publication in the industry called Pizza Today. Every year they would post the top 100 independent pizzerias based on gross sales. I was in the top 10 every year but not listed.

Pizza today said they based there top 100 on companies that the magazine is familiar with.

I would think that publication for lco's works the same way.

It truly is not a true representation of the top 100.

8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I made the list for the worst LCO companys this year, good to see i am in good company, Lawn Site members had a good showing, the ones that know it all made the list :laugh: :laugh: you can guess the type, on here giving there wealth of knowledge, when its there first month of business.:laugh: :laugh:
  9. MMLawn

My thoughts exactly....their "Top 100" is companies they know...but is not truly the Top 100

Another reason, they also didn't have The Budd Group listed which is a very large private company based in Winston-Salem with dozens of offices in like 2-4 states and has like 500 or so employees in their LCO divison I believe.
  10. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

mike....were you on the list???just wondering