Top 3 Service Calls In Your Area

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AceSprinkleRx, May 5, 2005.

1. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Between the northern (winter) and southern (summer all year) climates, what do you find to be the top three service/maintenance calls in your area?

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Number one top call for me, and I would think for everyone else is that rotor at the corner of the drive that they can't seem to not hit :) And why is it always the spouse who isn't calling that hit it? I know if something like that was my fault, my wife would make me call!!
    Service call $40, Rotor $30. $70 call and in and out in 15 min :)

My other favorite is my upper end clients that can't adjust their controller. Again, in and out in 15 min. Only $40 though unless I can find something else to fix while I'm there.

Oh, and can't forget the service calls after a good thunderstorm to replace fried controller and other misc. damage.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Right now, freeze damage. Bonnets and poppets, cracked ball valves and copper pipe, or replacing entire PVB or RP.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

hmmmm, I read top 3 as favorites.......surely freeze damage isn't a repair call you enjoy :)

5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

most popular call...hmmm...

anything that a homeowner tried to repair to save a buck or two...

those are the service calls that i take the camera out of the briefcase.

so far, most calls are for broken heads, burnt out solenoids and simple stuff.

brian

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What brand solinoid do you find burns out so often?

I use exclusively rainbird DVF valves, and have never had a solinoid go bad.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

1. Sprinkler "not working right"
    2. Leak
    3. "my sprinklers come on at different times" :dizzy:

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I do prefer the BFP and copper pipe repairs. Anytime I need to use a shovel is my worst repair. I am tired of my hands being dirty and dried out from the dirt and water.

Probably my favorite repair is replacing the controller, or maybe troubleshooting as to why a valve won't turn on. Maybe even the simplest start up in the spring that we winterized, and there are absolutely no problems or adjustments to make. In and out in 15-30 minutes.

9. The thread is about the top 3 service calls in your area..not your favorite ones. I think what he meant was, what is the most common call you get for service in your area?

In Arizona it is "my zone 3 pump has a leak, it has hardly any pressure...it just doesn't work" TRANSLATION: Zone 3 isn't coming on with the timer...the pump is actually a valve. There is hardly ever a leak...bad diaphragm...

In Colorado thus far it has been freeze damage....I like doing the copper repairs also...but I am going to one next week that could be ugly...frozen mainline in the grass area....it seems to leak in about a 20 foot span..hmmm what could that be? This particular house has the RP in the laundry room, inside the finished hardwood floors basement of the house! New one to me.

10. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Freeze Damage, Plow Damage, Broken Rotor