1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Self Propelled mowers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sage55, Jun 28, 2013.

1. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

Looking at maybe picking up a self propelled mower to use on the front lawn and continue to use my Hustler Sport for the back yard (about half an acre).

Came across this top 5 self propelled list and wanted to give your guys input if you agreed with the list or would recommend others?

Thanks!

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Top for a homeowner? Cause there sure isn't anything on there I recognize.

For a homeowner or limited commercial work, look at the $600 Honda at HD.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Joke right, thought it was April 1st for a minutes.

4. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

yes for home owner. this is commercial and residential forum yes?

5. Keith

This is a commercial sub-forum. There is a homeowner forum at the bottom of the forum index page. I'll see if I can find someone to move this topic for you.

6. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

I do apologize. I first read it as a residential (homeowner) forum but after re-reading it, it makes more sense why others above thought I was crazy. haha. Thanks for moving this to the correct forum!

7. jasonhc73

jasonhc73 LawnSite Member
    Male, from WICHITA KS

I just picked up a Honda HRR21. When I got it there was a guy there praising it. He said it was the Cadillac of mowers. I tell you what, this mower is by far head and shoulders above any other mower I have ever used. It is incredibly quite and powerful. I have no idea what the HP is, but it's a 160cc motor. It's kind of weird having a electric pto, but every time I turn it on, it nearly kills the motor, but it comes right back up. It's rear wheel drive. The $1200 commercial version is actually hydro drive. But why would you have a 21" commercial mower?

8. Keith

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the $1,200 Honda and it does a superb job at mulching. To me, it is worth every penny. I get grass clippings with a length of 1/4". That's mulching! Mind you, I ain't using it anymore. I now have a Hustler FT SD 48" with Gator/mulch kit.

Consumer Reports evaluate mowers every year. I think it is the May issue. You might want to check it out. Toro are now well rated too.

10. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

$1,200 just for a push mower? Dang!

Bit off topic: I too have a Hustler but is a Sport version and thinking about getting a mulching kit, who makes this "gator" kit?