1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Self Propelled mowers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sage55, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

No, it is not a push mower, it is self-propelled.

If I recall correctly, the word Excel is written on the Gator blades...

Btw, the Gator blades do not come with the mulch kit. And your mulch kit is made up of 2 plates for the 42" and 3 plates for the 48" and 54". So each blade has its own closed chamber. Blades might be around $100 and mulch kit in the same neighborhood.
  2. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

Pierre, thanks for the info. I'll check my Hustler dealer to see if they have the mulching kit and blades I need for me Hustler.

Back to the list, I'm still stuck on which one to buy for a small front yard.
  3. Pierre2013

According to Consumer Reports (May 2013):

Among the gas self-propelled:

Honda HRR2169VYA $480
    Honda HRR2169VKA $400
    Toro 20381 (or 20382) $520

Among gas push for smaller/flat lawns:

Cub Cadet SC100 11A-A92J $250
    Craftsman 37432 $220
    Yard Machines 11A-B96N $240

Get your copy of CR May 2013. You can't go wrong with a Honda, except for the sensitive carb.
  4. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

I've always heard good things about Honda's and their engines. Been told they always fire up on the first pull typically.
  5. Pierre2013

Yes, Honda engines are pretty good and start very easily. But the carb can be a b**ch. Very sensitive, gum up easily with old fuel. Also, I find the quality of the materials used has somewhat gone down compared with 20 years ago. Nevertheless, still a great mower.
  6. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i have an hrx217 that is over 10 years old and still kicking. I have a couple of Honda HRR models that i got from HD that i use on small yards. these are tough mowers for being non-commercial. they cut and mulch great.
  7. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

I've always been worried about buying mowers from big box stores. They all look the exact same with just different colors. Like someone other then john deere or other manufactures are making their mowers and slapping different names on them.