Top 5 Things You LOVE About YOUR Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BckYrdLmbrJk, Jan 31, 2014.

1. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

Yea, I read the "Top 5 Things You Hate About This Business" Thread. Not bashing it, or anyone at all, there's certainly a lot of crap we have to deal with. I'm young yet, and I'm sure a lot of you guys have it way worse than I do. We can talk all day about who hates insurance, price shoppers, low ballers and late payers the most. But with spring in sight I find myself getting more an more excited about the joy and prospects the coming year has too offer, and then when I come on to LawnSite to drool over pictures of beautiful sunny landscape jobs, shiny trucks and mowers, and look for cool and new ideas and I end up reading and being reminded of things I'm already reminded of far too often.

I don't really want to hear about "THE INDUSTRY", generalizations, though they may be true, whatever. It's been covered. I want to hear about what brings you the most joy in YOUR business. What you've worked for or relationships, systems that you've created, tools you love usings, jobs you love doing, ways of doing things that are icing on the cake that make this the reason you get out of bed in the morning. I hope I don't get bashed for this, I just want to know what makes you guys have enough great days to want to do this with your short time on earth.

1. I love being outside all day. Rain doesn't bother me so much in general, sure it can get aggravating when it messes up your scheduling, but what can ya do about it? I love being around plants, trees, digging in the dirt, making things beautiful.

2. Customers who appreciate your work. The change it makes in their day, the smile on their face when you put the care and effort into their home to make it a little bit more like paradise. The occasional compliment from someone who knows what they're talking about and whose opinion you respect.

3. Chainsaws. I love playing with chainsaws. Love clearing brush, spending time in the woods, cutting down trees, the smell of a freshly cut cherry or oak, and the way a nice fresh chain cuts. Same goes for the first cut you get with sharp mower blades.

4. Mulching grass. I love side discharging, going down a long stretch of grass, wide open, or at least moving along pretty quick, not leaving any clumps. Feeling the sun and fresh breeze in your face, the smell of grass and thinking "They call this work." Not to say a lot of what I do isn't work, but I don't care who you are, on the right lawns, zero turns are fun.

5. My truck. When I was a little kid I'd always be drawing pictures of plow trucks. I loved going out to plow snow with my dad. I thought it was awesome that a truck could move all that snow. I love 4x4 vehicles, and though I miss my Jeepin' days, I love my truck, pushing snow, hauling logs out of the woods, and pulling my heavy trailers with ease.

What are your favorite things about YOUR business?:)

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Working outside

Looking back on a job and saying "dam, that looks good"

Customers who really appreciate what you do

Doing different things and never being bored at work

Playing with machinery. ........ who doesn't love that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Ripping out the old stuff at a new job

Driving trucks/operating equip

Being able to get my hands dirty

Being able to have my guys do stuff so i DONT have to get my hands dirty

Sweeping up, getting paid, and the homeowners and neighbors are all smiles

4. phoenixsteeler

phoenixsteeler LawnSite Member

Being outside
    Looking at the lines I just put down
    Seeing a different place everyday
    Driving the trucks
    Not sitting at a desk all day
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Can I get an AMEN Back Yard Lumberjack!!!!!!

1.. Ditto

2.. Ditto

3.. My Walker

4.. Ditto (However I have to say that I enjoy bagging just as much but I digress)

5.. Ditto

Great Thread!!!!!

6. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

Great thread,,,,great idea too much negativity and people making this job appear much more complicated than it really is.
    1. Being in charge of myself and in control of my own schedule.
    2. Working outside
    3. Making landscapes look great and the happy peoples response.
    4. Getting to use neat equipment.
    5. Watching a business grow knowing that it is something I created myself and will be in control of where and how far it goes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

My List would be the same. Just knowing that I'm in control of my own destiny, is enough for me. I can see how guys have been at this for 20+ years it's just a great way of life.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Getting a big job
    Finishing a big job
    Leaf clean ups/fall time
    Doing firewood and leisurely work, I knock my helps pay down on leisurely days which makes it that much more easy going, we don't make as much but it's nice in between the flat out
    Buying new stuff, there is definitely a type of high from buying stuff, not necessarily brand new. Used is cool too

9. Regal Landscapes

Regal Landscapes LawnSite Member

1) playing in the dirt and operating equipment

2) tree work, I love tree work

3) mowing a yard and seeing how nice it looks afterwards

4) the ability to be outside, doing what I love to do

5) creating landscapes and hardscapes that people will enjoy

And I always enjoy new tools or equipment new or used
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

All of the above!

Love the outdoors, love lawn stripes, and love being my own boss!