1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top Choice by Bayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landgator, May 27, 2006.

1. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any experience with Top Choice? I hears it is the number one fire ant product out there. Whats a fair price to charge for this service? I have my state lic for Nc and I'm Top Choice Certified. I just want to know others oppions.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I recently bought a 50 lb. bag from Lesco for almost $150.:dizzy: That's $3/lb. my cost. The application rates call for 2 lbs./1000 sq.ft. so thats basically $6/1000 sq.ft. All I've been charging my existing customers is double my cost, obviously $12/sq.ft. My accounts do not have a big fire ant problem yet, but they're out there. I have 12 residentials and two had me do fire ant control two weeks ago. Both of them together took me maybe 15 minutes and I made about $70 profit.
  3. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

We basically double the price of the product used. Great results so far, and customers love the 12 month guarantee.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are charging WAY WAY WAY too low.
    Speak with Bayer and they will assist with correct pricing in your area.
    Where I'm at, I get $33.00/1000 square feet.
  5. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

Where I come from most yards are between one-half and two acres. Try telling somebody you are going to charge them $1400 for treating their acre yard for fire ants. I'm having great results with Advion and it's much cheaper.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

On larger areas than 1 acre, I might possibly come down to as low as $28/1000 square feet but not any lower.
    Regarding on what and how much your client's pay, it is up to you to up-sell the TopChoice over a different program.
    However, if you are happy with what you are doing then stay with it.
    I have applied Logic bait mixed in with 21-0-0 fert over an eighty acre industrial grounds as they didn't want to pony up for the TopChoice. Still cleared over $2,000 for one day's work though.
  7. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

I get Topchoice for $138 per 50 lb bag from Prosource One. Lesco is usually too high on most of thier products.
  8. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

The Advion cost per acre is about $20. TopChoice is about $250. With the control I have been getting with the Advion, it is a been a much more marketable product for me.
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, that's about my price. I was figuring tax and all. I will need to check on that Advion, though. That sounds real good.
  10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We are getting $107 for a Top Choice application on a 5,000 sq ft lawn and under.

The key to this is being able to set the correct expectations with your clients. Otherwise, your going to be making additional applications for free. At $3 per pound, you can't afford that.

DFW Area Landscaper