Top Choice questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SouthernYankee, Mar 28, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I put down some top choice on my own lawn about 2 weeks ago and I keep getting multiple fire ant mounds popping up all over my lawn. I followed the directions to exactly as they were stated on the bag. The guy at Lesco told me it would take around 3 weeks to kick in , but I thought that the ants would start to die or leave my yard. Soil is pretty much all clay.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

SouthernYankee

You didn't read all the information about Top Choice. You are probably good to go but must understand how Top Choice works. It takes 5 to 6 weeks minim to gain control of Fire Ants with Top Choice. after that the length of time Top Choice will keep working depends on your soils CEC or chemical holding power. I believe Houston has clay soil and you should get a good year of control. Sandy soil won't hold chemicals and Top Choice is not a good choice of control.

3. SouthernYankee

I do not have irragation system that runs everyday, but I do use hoses about once a week along with a fair amount of rain this time of the year. Will that be enough to water it in or should I try to turn the hoses on every few days?

Also if there are still granulars present and visible right now through out the lawn, should I skip mowing until its watered in more?

thanks for the help, I am not well versed in pest control.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yankee

I can't economically use Top Choice because of our Sandy soil. Yet I see Idiots advertising Top Choice and applying it in my area. They get a lot of call backs at 6 months after applying it. But charge enough to cover their costs.

After two weeks I would think the Granules would be deep enough to not be picked up by the mower. In Houston you should be mulching any way which might only blow any lose granules around.

BTW if you want to get rid of Fire Ants right away, Apply a general insecticide it won't hurt the Top Choice effectiveness.

5. SouthernYankee

thanks ric

6. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

look for about 4 to 6 weeks like he said for control. you can also apply "cease fire", same active ingred in top choice (fipronil) but in a bait form to apply to active mounds. water the top choice in good, and it should work fine. if youre getting the rains we are up here in denton county it will bring ants to the surface you didnt know you had. ive alkali clay soil up here and am getting about nine months of control. if you want a quck kill for individual mounds spray them with talstar (bifnethrin) but this can make them satellite.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I've applied TC to several customers lawns here in North GA. After several weeks, you won't see ants around for the rest of the year. Most of them asked for another application 12 months later just to keep the program going.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It usually takes about four weeks for my experience.

Similar to TurfUnlimited, I've had twice the requests this year and everyone who had it last year, asked for it again this year. :)

9. SouthernYankee

My top Choice experiance has not been good, as of right now I still have a few fireant mounds here and there. Do I still need to give it more time or is it just not working???

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the soil profile in your area?

It does not seem to perform as well in the sandy soils with low CEC.