Top Dressing Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have to top dress a lawn this coming weekend with a 80% compost 20% sand mix. It's going to take 10-15 yards. I was planning on renting a top dresser to pull behind or put on my Gator, but when I called around today I can't find a rental place that has one or even knows what one is.

Any suggestions as to where I can find one? I could do it with my gator just dumping piles and someone raking, but I think it's going to take a while.

I need to aerate, slit seed, and top dress this lawn in no more than two days.

2. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Call Kenney in Indianapolis. They may rent them.

Tim Gray
  3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Tim,

I tried calling Kenney and I talked to John Morris. He told me they rented them and he would have to get back with me promptly as I need it this weekend. He never returned my call!

I'm pretty screwed right now. 10-15 yards of soil is a whole lot to deal with if you don't have the right equipment.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do the aeration now and bring in the material when you have a topdresser lined up.

Besides, running all over the yard with the gator kind of defeats the purpose of aeration, especially if it rains or the irrigation is left on.