Top dressing intervals?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

What are the recommended intervals for topdressing with compost? 1 app in spring and fall? Does it hurt to topdress more often than this, or is it just overkill?

Sorry if this is an elementary question!

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The hot sun will burn off "humus". Exposure to certain elements are not good is - what I've always heard. It does make sense to me.

For that reason , I believe that compost should be applied when its ability to survive into the rhizosphere are best. Namely spring, late summer, and serve as a winterizer bonus in the fall.

:laugh: In this part of Wisco -- that equals once a month!! :laugh:

3. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

you could dust the lawn weekly/monthly through out the season if you wanted to as long as there irrigation. sounds like alot of work who's paying?

spring and fall work well for me.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the spring (late) and fall.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Would you change this practice, of spring and fall, after the SOM get to a certain point and then go to a "every 3 years" kind of practice?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That would depend on how quickly your SOM is being turned over.

7. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

:canadaflag:

Hi to All

Question about topdressing. I built one of those drum style topdressers and was wondering if a person is supposed to apply one direction and then apply a second 'coat' perpendicular to the first. It lays it down pretty fine so a second application would be possible without overloading the lawn. Or is it better to do a second application at a later time?

Never done it before.

Thx

Lloyd

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I like spoon feeding, many on here like to put down light amounts of compost rather than 1/4 inch at a time

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have always put it down about a 1/4" or so, I haven't had any problems so far, like how it gets the soil going faster, I like the idea of more OM down for everything else to go too... I don't like "dusting" as it just doesn't seem it is doing any good... or it will take FOREVER to make a difference...

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

down here 4-6 times a year........... 12 month growing season............