Top dressing intervals?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

7 times a year for me

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys get people to pay for that? For even the small lawns with light topdressing that is $100's per app.

I am selling 1/4 inch twice the first year and then try to taper off to maintenance levels after that at 1/8 inch or less. Plus I do feed grade meals, compost tea's, and molasses apps to help keep the good guys moving.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It is more cost effective for the client to put down more, fewer times, which for me means a recommendation of no more than 2 apps per season. If you are rebuilding a soil or dealing with an environment that eats up SOM quickly, then you may need more apps per season.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I usually only put down compost when overseeding. Spring and fall.
    :laugh: Every other month. :laugh:

Florida has a 12 month growing season and we got 5. In a good year...

5. JDUtah

from UT

I can do a light topdressing for $45 on a 5k lawn. Light being the key word. I would more call it an effective fertilizing than a topdressing.

6. pt03

pt03 LawnSite Member

Thx folks.

When I tried out the dresser it worked out to about 2.8 cubic feet of compost over a 600 (ish) sq. foot area. Seemed very thin to me but it looked good as in I could see the area done. Should I think about a cross application at the same time to thicken it up a bit?

Lloyd

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

how much post goes down (lbs?) 25? per thou? sounds like a lot of extra work for that money? at those small dosages of post you will need synthetic's$$ for sure? what happens when you have a 100 customers?
    125 lbs per 5000 sf? plus the synthetic needed anyway? 45$?

X SAY 10 YARDS THATS 1250 LBS POST A DAY you will need to handle minimally

how will you keep up blending/applying like that for that much money?
    45 sound like TG LD prices? don't burn ur self out my friend

8. JDUtah

from UT

At high production I will be moving 3.5 yards of 'postblend per day. At the topdressing rates you guys are talking about I would be using 6.25 yards for one 5k lawn... now who is breaking their back on any given day?

My prices are in line with my market.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I got you figured out. Everyone in business needs their secret to success. I am just glad your over there so I dont have to try to compete with you. I would love to see some long term effect pictures if you take them.

Good luck with your endevours this year. :usflag:

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Given that it only occurs once, maybe twice a year, I will take the 6.25 yard route any day of the week.