Lawn Care Forum banner

Top dressing intervals?

7K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  Smallaxe 
#1 ·
What are the recommended intervals for topdressing with compost? 1 app in spring and fall? Does it hurt to topdress more often than this, or is it just overkill?

Sorry if this is an elementary question!

#2 ·
The hot sun will burn off "humus". Exposure to certain elements are not good is - what I've always heard. It does make sense to me.

For that reason , I believe that compost should be applied when its ability to survive into the rhizosphere are best. Namely spring, late summer, and serve as a winterizer bonus in the fall.

:laugh: In this part of Wisco -- that equals once a month!! :laugh:

#5 ·
Would you change this practice, of spring and fall, after the SOM get to a certain point and then go to a "every 3 years" kind of practice?

#7 ·
:canadaflag:

Hi to All

Question about topdressing. I built one of those drum style topdressers and was wondering if a person is supposed to apply one direction and then apply a second 'coat' perpendicular to the first. It lays it down pretty fine so a second application would be possible without overloading the lawn. Or is it better to do a second application at a later time?

Never done it before.

Thx

Lloyd

#8 ·
I like spoon feeding, many on here like to put down light amounts of compost rather than 1/4 inch at a time

#9 ·
I have always put it down about a 1/4" or so, I haven't had any problems so far, like how it gets the soil going faster, I like the idea of more OM down for everything else to go too... I don't like "dusting" as it just doesn't seem it is doing any good... or it will take FOREVER to make a difference...

#12 ·
How do you guys get people to pay for that? For even the small lawns with light topdressing that is $100's per app.

I am selling 1/4 inch twice the first year and then try to taper off to maintenance levels after that at 1/8 inch or less. Plus I do feed grade meals, compost tea's, and molasses apps to help keep the good guys moving.

#13 ·
It is more cost effective for the client to put down more, fewer times, which for me means a recommendation of no more than 2 apps per season. If you are rebuilding a soil or dealing with an environment that eats up SOM quickly, then you may need more apps per season.

#14 ·
I usually only put down compost when overseeding. Spring and fall.
:laugh: Every other month. :laugh:

Florida has a 12 month growing season and we got 5. In a good year...

#16 ·
Thx folks.

When I tried out the dresser it worked out to about 2.8 cubic feet of compost over a 600 (ish) sq. foot area. Seemed very thin to me but it looked good as in I could see the area done. Should I think about a cross application at the same time to thicken it up a bit?

Lloyd

#17 ·
I can do a light topdressing for $45 on a 5k lawn. Light being the key word. I would more call it an effective fertilizing than a topdressing.
how much post goes down (lbs?) 25? per thou? sounds like a lot of extra work for that money? at those small dosages of post you will need synthetic's$$ for sure? what happens when you have a 100 customers?
125 lbs per 5000 sf? plus the synthetic needed anyway? 45$?

X SAY 10 YARDS THATS 1250 LBS POST A DAY you will need to handle minimally

how will you keep up blending/applying like that for that much money?
45 sound like TG LD prices? don't burn ur self out my friend

#18 · (Edited)
how much post goes down (lbs?) 25? per thou? sounds like a lot of extra work for that money? at those small dosages of post you will need synthetic's$$ for sure? what happens when you have a 100 customers?
125 lbs per 5000 sf? plus the synthetic needed anyway? 45$?

X SAY 10 YARDS THATS 1250 LBS POST A DAY you will need to handle minimally

how will you keep up blending/applying like that for that much money?
45 sound like TG LD prices? don't burn ur self out my friend
At high production I will be moving 3.5 yards of 'postblend per day. At the topdressing rates you guys are talking about I would be using 6.25 yards for one 5k lawn... now who is breaking their back on any given day?

My prices are in line with my market.

#19 ·
At high production I will be moving 3.5 yards of 'postblend per day. At the topdressing rates you guys are talking about I would be using 6.25 yards for one 5k lawn... now who is breaking their back on any given day?

My prices are in line with my market.
I think I got you figured out. Everyone in business needs their secret to success. I am just glad your over there so I dont have to try to compete with you. I would love to see some long term effect pictures if you take them.

Good luck with your endevours this year. :usflag:

#21 ·
I think I got you figured out. Everyone in business needs their secret to success. I am just glad your over there so I dont have to try to compete with you. I would love to see some long term effect pictures if you take them.

Good luck with your endevours this year. :usflag:
I have revealed more of my processes than I am comfortable with, but it helps me learn... and hopefully challenges others to think outside the box.

#23 ·
jd, the time and effort is reflected in the bills i leave my customers from a few hours work. plus your just doing apps so we have different goals for the year.$

put down a proper amount to make a difference right off the bat, more time for the post to get settled, customers like immediate results, leaves more time to do other things$ for them

your price might reflect your area's prices but what your doing is giving them more, which is good but.... is this a organic approach your selling or bridge, other.?
how are you handling weeds?

come fall schedule your topdressing in a row, bring on extra labor to knock it out.$$
seeding,aeration, ete

so many projects $$ so little time...

#24 · (Edited)
You are probably right Kiril... but still... who likes sharing how they do things?

GDRO, Maybe different goals, maybe not. My goal is to provide the customer with an amazing lawn done in a significantly more sustainable and safe way than the normal fert and squirt companies. And do so in a profitable manner. I do not know what your business purpose is. I know that with my current setup I can pull around 25% net profit after all expenses (including this huge amount of labor you suggest I have). Mind sharing your annual net proft?

terrapro,
Here is a pic taken this week of one of my test lawns. I started the program on this lawn last August. I made some program adjustments last fall, but all in all, this is the result I expect to see (or better)...

Grass Automotive tire Plant Public space Gas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.