1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top Dressing Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonlandscape, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

i have an account that i reel mow once to twice a week. i scalped and sanded it before the grass started growing.

i was just wondering if it would be ok to sand it again right now? just a light sanding to make it more level.

when i sanded it before spring i used rake and shovel. so it was kinda hard to make it perfect.

oh yeah i'm sure if i had a 27" true cut that would help to, lol....when i get more reel acounts thats what i'm getting
  2. http://www.sandmantopdressing.com/

I know nothing about topdressing southern lawns with sand but this site seems to.
    Maybe you can get some info there.

3. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

It depends. As long as there is enough organic material to allow the bacteria to thrive in the soil it should not be a problem. Multiple amounts =< 1/8 inch over the area seem to work the best. To much sand and the soil will not retain moisture so irrigation becomes an issue.
  4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just roll it?
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You cant roll clay...its like concrete!! Granted you can roll it when its been fluffed with a tiller, but after a year or 2 in the hot sun its hard...really hard.

Think of a Georgia lawn as a concrete interstate highway and you will be close to describing how hard it is.
  6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

which goes back to my other questions i was gonna ask is throwing sand on top of clay really gonna help. thou you guys have had more rain in the first 6 months of this year then all of the last 2 years. i could see amending it but just throwing it on?
  7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

How many Sq ft will a cu yrd of compro cover at 1/8 " ?
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Core aeration followed with topdressing is the proceedure I would suggest. Do this for a few seasons and soil should improve.
  9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Your going after reel accounts?....I did that for 10 years.
    1. Takes your best guys
    2. A lot of work for the lowest margin part of the business.
    3. You should see what happens to the reel when you don't blow off the lawn perfectly BEFORE you cut it !
    4. A business you CANT sell.
    5. We used to cut MF W MF......for the richest people out there, charging 100.00/man hr (15 years ago)...you wont get many.