top dressing lawns

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Chris Burisek, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Chris Burisek

Chris Burisek LawnSite Member

Anyone into top dressing lawns? I am thinking of adding this as a service.
    How many can be done per day with the right equipment and how many yards of compost/top dressing do you go out with each day? What vehicle would be best? Dump truck? Our average lawn is 5,000 - 6,000 sq ft.
    Thanks for your help. We would like to core aerate, seed and top dress lawns next year.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use a mulch blower to blow compost
  3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Dusty, any suggestions where to get a mulch blower (ie good supplier etc)? They are pretty NOT common out here, that and slice seeders... we live in ancient times here in Utah.
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris ...there are so many variables to answer your questions...but yes great idea to add to your many a day? you will find out when you get going at It. Yes a Dump truck or insert or dump trailers are very common...just get into It and It will all fall Into place
  5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Would a manure spreader work for compost or do you need to use a top dresser? I have also heard of using a hydroseeder but I'm not sure how?
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes...a manure spreader works...But you have to modify the paddles....with that being said...there used on large properties only
  7. Dooger54

Dooger54 LawnSite Member

Look into the Earth & Turf Topdressers. They have two pull behind models, the 200 and 320. I have the 320. For topdressing, they can't be beat.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The self propelled model is awesome, too.
  9. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Dooger what are you pulling it with? Ball park price? thanks
  10. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5