Top dressing, lets see how others do it...need some ideas

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by A-Cut-ABOVE, Dec 8, 2007.

1. A-Cut-ABOVE

A-Cut-ABOVE LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys do it? By machine , by hand?
    just looking for different methods to appy.
  2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

So far I have done it by hand--- I really don't do that much so its not a big deal.

But, I was kicking around the idea of using the sander (salt spreader) by mounting it on a small idea if it would work or not, but its a tailgate type machine so its small enough to tow around if I wanted to--holds about 1/4 yard......absolutely no idea if it would distribute evenly or not and I wouldn't mind hearing some comments too! It would only be for a very thin coating not trying to put down 2 inches or so.

If you did a lot of topdressing it would probably be best to have a machine of some type. Do they actually sell a dedicated machine for this?????.
  3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

only works on the big salt spreaders with the walking floor.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You guys might laugh at this.
    But when I top dress areas in the soccer and football fields that I take care of, I just use a wagon similar to (but much more modern than) what my great-grandfather used to spread manure around his fields with when he ran a dairy farm.
  5. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

We make 7 different types of top dressers from a small, self-propelled unit to a 4 cu./yard tractor towed unit. You can see them on our website, Call us if you have questions about top dressing. We have been building top dressers for over 40 years so we know'em.
  6. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of material is used for topdressing?
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Mostly compost, top soil, humus, etc.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Turfco MeterMatic with the Chevron belt - works great. The distribution is very uniform and the gate controls are easy to use. Will uniformly distribute just about anything.
  9. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I also have the metermatic and a Tycrop. The only thing that sucks about the metermatic is the drive roller has an abrasive paper on it that tends to wear out. The belt will not turn when this happens.

The tycrop can put down the lightest dusting of sand imaginable.
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

1 ton dump, hyrdrostatic utility tractor w/ 3point landscape rake and loader bucket.Small topdresser would cool but , We dont have any licenced supplers near us.