Top Dressing Prices

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: I suppose if I talked "redneck cracker" more fluently, the LD readers with ADHD could follow along a little better... :laugh:

Tell me about your compost delivery system... Cost efficient is it???

!!! Whatever...

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

The nice thing about having 12 cu ft of post on wheels is it is easy to just grab a bunch and sling it into corners or tight spots. The other thing is you can put heavy apps down in bad areas - just by hand. The eco lawn goes as fast as you are gonna walk. It is light so you can tip it or shake it if the post bridges - plus because you are behind it you can see how it is spreading. This helps make sure you have consistant spread rates. It also will do a pallett of humate - quick! We did 2700 pounds spread over 30,000 sq ft ball field in 30 mins. It is dusty but gets it done! So it is the perfect spreader for high poundage meal apps and probably would be a mean salt spreader in the winter.

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Smallaxe, you need to get up to speed on the top dressers we are talking about. Not only are they at least twice as big as you thought. They are anything but slow. I can not keep up with my machine in full speed without trotting. For big areas I think a cushman on a gator is the way to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Cool, I'm always glad when Amerikan technology does something worthwhile... You act like beating a wheelbarrow is the greatest thing , since sliced bread... 5 years ago things were different... You think you've found the golden calyx... good for you...

When cost effectiveness meets my current market... I'm on board... not too confusing...

Many markets are not willing to pay for compost... It's a work in progress for many LCOs...

What is your great marketing Experience in the way of clients paying extra for compost???

Answer that question ... and we can dialogue from there... :)

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump for some more info. Plantscapes, did you end up getting one for yourself?

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

It looks like it will happen this month. I've already sold about 20 top dressing at $75 per 1000 sq ft. The material is going to cost about $27 per yard. For a lot of the yards I'm going to haul in the material myself and tacked on a $75 delivery fee. The base material is about 800 lbs a yard. I may offer some material with sand that will weight more and be $12-15 more per yard as an upgrade.

This is now the slow season so it's the perfect time to try out the top dressing and see how it goes. I may be able to use my friends Dingo loader to make the process go more quickly. Without the dingo I can still dump wheelbarrows out of the dump trailer into the hopper. Shoveling from ground level up into the hopper is what I want to avoid.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Our compost price is 135 per yard.

9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking I would need at least $100 per 1000 in season. Even if the yard is small I'm still getting the $75 delivery fee for hauling it myself. I'll be interested to see how things go.

10. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of compost costs that much? That seems extremely high. Is that your COST or PRICE?