Top Dressing Prices

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Sep 15, 2011.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I'm assuming he's considering a yard to cover 1000 sq ft so he's basically quoting his 1000 sq ft price.

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Its our price. We get it. Some companies on here don't know what their cost are in doing business. They are here today gone tommorrow. They hear everyone elses price and think that it is theirs as well. People pay for quality. Lots of companies are scared to charge the correct amount. My time is valuable to me. Every employee of mine has a man our rate I charge the customer to get the job done. Never be scared to walk away from a potential job either.

3. PlantscapeSolutions

So, are you saying you charge $130 for each yard you spread with the machine plus a man hour rate on top of that? I'm just trying to clarify the original info that was posted. The norm tends to be pricing per 1000 sq ft so I think your throwing us a monkey wrench that needs a little clarification.

4. dKoester

The hourly rate is included in that price. Sorry for the lack of clarity. 1 yard per 1000 s.f..
    So if you were doing 10000 s.f. it would be $1350.

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use a spreader or do you do it by hand. I get good compost for right around 20 per yard so I feel with my delivery of materials and costs, 90 per thousand would work with no delivery fee if customer gets more than five yards. I haven't done the math but it sounds like 1cy will cover around 1000sf. Is that correct?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

Composting by hand is a beech and your coverage is not going to be uniform. I never pushed composting in the past because I didn't have a machine and the cost to the customer was going to have to be pretty high for me to make decent money.

7. dKoester

If you don't have a machine. Make small piles in a grid like pattern. Use a backpack blower to spread it out. This works very well.

8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent thought of that. The few I have done so far have been pretty small so I just dump in piles and spread out with a large landscape rake.

9. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

I use a redmax backpack with a regular y pipe plumbing connector duct taped to the end of the hose...it sucks up and shoots just about anything you can put in a wheelbarrow where ever you want it... and it's a load of fun. Nothing better then painting a lawn with dung on a sunny summer day. ...:)

10. nc-jrock

nc-jrock LawnSite Member
    from NC

Hello DaveyBlue, that sounds good but how does it work, I'm having a little trouble envisioning this. I would like to try it some time. Thanks