Top Dressing Prices

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

using a mulch blower is the way to go

2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I'm finding $75 per 1000 sq ft fits in the budgets OK and gives you a good return on your investment. I use 1/2 yard per 1K. Efficiency is the hard part. You need a 16' or a 20' dump trailer or a medium duty truck like FL Landscapes if your going to be able to load your Ecolawn or SP100 very quickly and get back to work. You can not shovel from ground level into the hopper or you going to be very slow and the work will kill you.

3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

With Ecolawn dry material is a must. I've fought with moist & getting it to drop down to the belt, bridging is terrible sometimes. Shake, Bounce, Shake & repeat.
    Ever use with a walking live-floor?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PlantscapeSolutions

I'm using 30% sand and it made a big improvement. No sand is hell.

5. adam.neusbaum

Is masonry sand ok or does it bring in sedge?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. adam.neusbaum

Anyone have a truck for topdressing that has a walking floor to bring the material to the back? I need an easier way to load the buggies this year, I've had all winter to try & build something but haven't yet. Wish I could just buy something great for $2k and be on my way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. adam.neusbaum

Three weeks later & things are looking up. This feels more like a diary than a blog. I mean really,,,I'm now replying to my own post?
    My father-n-law built a very strong skateboard ramp which slides into the back of the dumptruck. Load truck, keep doors shut & dump. Now the compost is cascading down and the plywood ramp forces the compost to be at the top of the doors to pull off & into the buggies.;) Now I just need two more inexpensive treadmills & I should have a triple conveyor unit that becomes horizontal when completely dumped. Hope you all can picture it on your own since I just can't get a pic to upload.

8. PlantscapeSolutions

How many yards does your truck hold? You really need to be able to carry at least 12 yards to keep the running back and forth time to truck reload to a minimum. I've done 36 properties so far this spring. The average size has probably been about 10,000 square feet. My Ecolawn reload time is about 30 seconds with one guy working in the trailer as my helper.

As long as your not trying to upload a file size larger then about two megs you shouldn't have a problem. If your file is larger you just need to resize it. If you get the upload failed message it usually means your file is too large.

You could also shoot a video clip of your setup and put it on YouTube. I need to get a newer camera that will allow me to use a bigger flash card or I just need to use my digital movie camera. I have just a few very short clips posted on the Plantscape Solutions YouTube channel.

9. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

We have an Earth & Turf Topdresser for sale if interested. Check out the equipment listings.