top dressing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FYS777, Feb 5, 2009.

1. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

Bio-fine compost for top dressing on lawns, any body use this, what was your result, how did you apply it? how did you figure what to charge,?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use it in the south. Probably one of the best things that can be put on a year yearly.

3. FYS777

Hey thanks I was wondering that to, once a year, up here really poor soil, sandy, pumice soil, not much nutrients ,thanks

4. FYS777

O another ? would you over seed when you apply, or would that depend on how thick grass is already

5. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

FYS777,
    You should probably go to the organic forum further down the main page. Those folk are experts at topdressing. I have not top dressed yet, but will this spring. Here is what I'm going to try:

1) Aerate
    2) Slit seed / overseed
    3) Topdress

There is a lot of discussion about this on the Organic Lawn Care forum (next section down on the main page).

JT

6. FYS777

Ya I put that question on there to, I've done a little of this myself, just wonted to make sure I'm not missing any thing, I'll probably start doing more of this this year if folks can afford it.:clapping::clapping: How do you figure what you will charge,

7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know I could sell this to a couple of cust that need it but the equipment is so expensive to spread it

8. FYS777

Here lawns are small, wheel burrow and rake, as easy as spreading bark mulch, easier because isn't any thing in the way. O there are some push top dressers that rent cheap per day, 25 bucks a day here,

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Our yards are 1+arces no hand job here I dont know of a rental shop that has one

10. FYS777

Try going to the organic lawn care forum they might have some good advice on were to find a tow behind spreader for top dressing or something to that effect.:)