Top dressing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Grass Happens, Apr 19, 2009.

1. RLawns

RLawns LawnSite Member

Do you use just regular Sugar? do you use pelleted molasses? I have some I am going to try this out on.

Thanks for the reply

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Today was from a bulk bag of beet sugar. but yeah, the cheapest sugar you can find... My only dry molasses so far is from the co-op, but it has an undetermined amount of salt, so I shy away from that.

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

What rate do you apply the sugar?

4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand about sugars is complex is better. When you get into simple sugars it is easy to put on to much. Hence the reason for molasses. I get mine from the feed elevator in liquid form and it is $.59 per lb, which equates to about $30 per 5gal bucket.

App rate varies per situation. 2-3 gal per acre is on the safe side and I wouldnt shy away from more for troubled areas.

5. Smallaxe

I have always just broadcast by hand. Just dusting the ground with a pail under one arm and broadcasting with the other. I think a machine would let too much run through too quickly. Besides it gets sticky real quick.
    Not sure what to do if I get an acre or more to cover. :)

6. Smallaxe

Perhaps liquid application will be necessary for larger areas as you do. And I agree that molasses is better than sugar but our dry stuff has salt in it. Maybe not enough to matter, but it can accumulate, I suppose.

However, they are claiming now that salt are percolating through the soil into the water table along major highways that are salted so heavily in the winter. I always thought that salt came to the surface during rain events.