1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Top dressing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Grass Happens, Apr 19, 2009.

1. RLawns

RLawns LawnSite Member

Do you use just regular Sugar? do you use pelleted molasses? I have some I am going to try this out on.

Thanks for the reply

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Today was from a bulk bag of beet sugar. but yeah, the cheapest sugar you can find... My only dry molasses so far is from the co-op, but it has an undetermined amount of salt, so I shy away from that.

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

What rate do you apply the sugar?

4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand about sugars is complex is better. When you get into simple sugars it is easy to put on to much. Hence the reason for molasses. I get mine from the feed elevator in liquid form and it is $.59 per lb, which equates to about $30 per 5gal bucket.

App rate varies per situation. 2-3 gal per acre is on the safe side and I wouldnt shy away from more for troubled areas.

5. Smallaxe

I have always just broadcast by hand. Just dusting the ground with a pail under one arm and broadcasting with the other. I think a machine would let too much run through too quickly. Besides it gets sticky real quick.
    Not sure what to do if I get an acre or more to cover. :)

6. Smallaxe

Perhaps liquid application will be necessary for larger areas as you do. And I agree that molasses is better than sugar but our dry stuff has salt in it. Maybe not enough to matter, but it can accumulate, I suppose.

However, they are claiming now that salt are percolating through the soil into the water table along major highways that are salted so heavily in the winter. I always thought that salt came to the surface during rain events.