Top Dressing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jan 25, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What methods do people use for top dressing a lawn? Are there any good pieces of equipment to make the process easier than a shovel and wheel barrel? I would like to look into adding this when I do aerations, but I do not know what equipment or methods there are to make it efficient and profitable.

Thanks in advance.

:D

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think ..

Power rake to remove moss and what not.
    apply lime if the ph is high
    fertilizer

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

4. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

5. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

and another

Attached Files:

6. mtdman

Thanks dylan. Those were great links. I guess I could have done that myself, eh? :rolleyes:

Are there other brands of pelletized compost available, other than Laurel Valley? I heard that there was some new product coming that was combined compost and fertilizer, looked like tiny golf balls?

7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Its good to start a new thread on this because they are comming up with new tools for residential topdresssing. Dylan how much did you pay for that awsome machine and how much do you charge to topdress? Do most people want front lawn only or both front and back. What do you use to topdress? The cities leaf compost? Natures Valley bagged? Earth Land and Sea which is soil, fish fines and compost, or what? Also I have been looking for a supplier of pelletized compost so i could do compost topdressing with a drop spreader but what you have is better I think. My supplier is talking about a new spreader in the 900 dollar range but it obviosly isnt going to be the kick butt one you have. My lawns are so small and hilly i think it might not work here which is such a drag.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I get most of my organic compost materials from several ranchers that hav feed lots or stalls and place the manure in a large bin for myself and a couple of other guys. They give it to us for nothing since they would have to pay to get rid of it. I charge around 25-40 a yard of manure+ labor at 35-60hr pending amount of work and amount of time I have.
    average residential lawn with rough 9000-15000 sqft takes me about 2 hours with shovel, rake and wheelbarrow.

9. mtdman

Dylan, do you mind if I ask how much that self propelled version you have cost? I don't see many prices on the TurfCo website.
    Thanks
    Tom

10. mtdman

How do you spread it?